Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

2001 lexus rx300: oil pan..Bolts are already, need to know

Customer Question
Hello. How do I...
Hello. How do I remove the oil pan from engine 2001 lexus rx300.  Bolts are already, need to know how to separate from engine.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Lexus
12/29/2011
Lexus Mechanic: Victor, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Victor
Victor, ASE Certified Technician

Victor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

hi

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

what is the easiest way to remove the oil pan from engine 2001 lexus rx300

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

I have all the bolts out already

Victor :

As you stated, the bolts are already remvoed, correct?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

yes

Victor :

ok, thanks for clarifying.

Victor :

The oil pan has a flexible gasket between the pan and the engine block

Victor :

Are you planning to reuse the pan?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

looks like white rv silicon

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

no, I am replacing the pan

Victor :

yes, that's the factory sealant Toyota/Lexus uses.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

oh, any idea, how to seperate the two

Victor :

The easiest way to remove the pan that I have always used is to strike the pan with a heavy plastic mallet.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

the pan? not the engine?

Victor :

I strike it where the oil drain plug is.

Victor :

the pan

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

up or across

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

is a metal one okay like a hammer?

Victor :

I make sure i reinstall the drain plug and hit the drain plug with the mallet in a downward motion.

Victor :

let me ask you first if there are two studs still installed on the oil pan mounting area.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

yes

Victor :

do you have inverted torx bits?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

from the engine...I took the round socket out

Victor :

socket*

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

hmmm...not sure...do I need it to remove or will it slide out

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

I have hex bits

Victor :

well, in order to use the hammer method, you will need to remove the two studs. When you strike the pan, the pan tends to slide forward. And if the studs are still installed, the pan won't be able to slide forward.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

any other opton?

Victor :

no, you will need inverted torx sockets

Victor :

there is one.

Victor :

other option

Victor :

but, this option you will need to be VERY careful not to scrape the mating surface on the engine block.

Victor :

Do you have a putty knife?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

will i be able to remove the pan from under the engine with those two sockets still in?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

yes, I have one

Victor :

Is it a larger knife?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

yes

Victor :

no more than 4" wide?

Victor :

less is better

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

no

Victor :

good

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

do I pry it down

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

?

Victor :

what you need to do here is to get the knife in between the engine block and the oil pan.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

and it will come down even with the two screws

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

?

Victor :

use the hammer and carefully strike the knife until it slides between the block and oil pan.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

hey have to run, can I give my number to call me in an hour?

Victor :

when you removed the bolts, did you have two nuts and the rest of them bolts?

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

only two nuts for the two inverted screws

Victor :

JustAnswer does not allow private chat out of the forums

Victor :

sorry

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

others ones came our with the 10mm socket wrench

Victor :

then yes the pan will come out using the knife method.

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-qj7s4sly- :

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Victor :

once you have the knife in between the block and pan, pry down on the knife and pan will seperate.

Victor
Victor
Victor, ASE Certified Technician