LexusPro
LexusPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Lexus Master Certified, 11 yrs w/ Lexus Dealership, Elite of Lexus 2000-2011, 17yrs Auto Industry
48590959

2004 Lexus: the dealership is recommending a timing belt replacement

I have a 2004 Lexus RX 330 with 110,000 miles.The mechanic at the dealership is recommending a timing belt replacement This vehicle has never needed repair of anything in all these miles.Should I replace timing bely?

LexusPro :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will be back with you in just a second.

LexusPro :

The timing belt was due for replacement at 90K. It is a standard maintance item that needs to be replaced just like the alternator, power steering belts.

Customer:

Are you saying I should also be replacing the alternator and power steering belts as well?

LexusPro :

At time of the replacement the water pump(which is driven by the timing belt), idler and tensioner bearings will be inspected as well. It is not uncommon for them to need replacement as well. I have seen quite a few leaking water pumps lately.

LexusPro :

We recomend replacing the alternator and power steering belts at 60K. If they have not been replaced it would be a good idea to replace them with the timing belt, there will be no extra labor since they have to be removed to replace the timing belt.

Customer:

What can I expect to pay (roughly) for all this replacement work? And should I go to Lexus dealer or can our local Toyota dealer do this?

LexusPro :

We charge $550 labor and roughly $400 in parts. Any Lexus or Toyota dealer can perform this repair.

Customer:

I've been giving a replacement price of $600. just for timing belt.Does this sound excessive?I have not priced alternator or power steering belt replacemnet.What should all of this be costing?

LexusPro :

For just a timing belt that would be about right. It is mostly labor, 4 hours for the timing belt and an extra hour for the water pump(plus parts), is what we charge at $110 per hour.

Customer:

Thanks you've been quite helpful.Any guess on the chances this vehicle wil take me another 100,000 miles?

LexusPro :

I see them all of the time with 200K+, and have done 2 or 3 timing belts on the same car multiple times. That is a great car with few problems areas.