Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2002 rx300 code for both knock sensors po323 po325b will…

Customer Question
2002 rx300 code for both...
2002 rx300 code for both knock sensors po323 po325b : will not go into over drive after the temp indicator goes just past half way. has 125000 miles. fuel filter has not been changed but i understand its part of the fuel pump, hard to change?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/29/2010
Lexus Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

The fuel filter is a part of the fuel pump assembly located inside the fuel tank. Access is available under the rear passenger seat assembly, through a service cover so it is not hard to replace.

Full Size Image

Customer:

can i change only the filter without changing the fuel pump and would that fix the codes.

brownjeff :

Yes you can change the filter with out changing the pump

If getting spark knock due to a fuel problem then replacing the filter may take care of it. If not getting a spark knock then there may be an issues with the knock sensors or their circuit

Customer:

what about the overdrive ? all the drive-abilities problems happened at the same time.

Customer:

is the fuel filter a dealer part only?

brownjeff :

I would start with fixing the codes for the knock sensors as this may be causing the over drive problem. Since everything happend at the same time most likely they are all related.

Not sure if you can get the filter after market or not but here is the part number and price from the dealer.

2330074330$37.35
Customer:

how can both sensors go out at the same time. do you have a wiring diagram and a ground location for the sensors?

brownjeff :

Agree it would be rare for both to go bad at the same time, but possible.

Here is a diagram of the sensors and they ground through the engine block

Full Size Image

Customer:

where are the sensors located

brownjeff :

Under the intake manifold in the block

Full Size Image

Customer:

so the only way to get to them is by removing the intake manifold ?

brownjeff :

Correct. You wont even be able to see them until the manifold is removed.

Customer:

ok I will change the fuel filter and then check the wiring. Can I check the circuit from the ecm ? Were is the ecm?

brownjeff :

Yes you can check the wiring from the ecm. The ecm is located behind the glove box on the passenger's side of the dash

Customer:

thank you, talk to later with good new I hope.

brownjeff :

OK>>>>

Customer:

is the sensor case its ground and i can not read the pin numbers at the ecm please write it down,thanks

brownjeff :

Yes the case of the sensor is its ground.

The number are 27E and 28E at the ecm

Customer:

Hi I have gotten to the fuel filter, have taken the hold down ring off but what is the trick to removing the pump assy?

brownjeff :

You removed all the bolts? If so it should pull out.

Full Size Image

Customer:

that sounds easy but there is a hose and float stopping in the way

brownjeff :

You have to lift it up high enough to gain access to the hose and disconnect the hose then the assembly will come out

Customer:

ok

brownjeff :

Full Size Image

Customer:

At last, filter has been changed , could they have made it any more difficult !!! Now can I clear the codes my self ? I do not have a scan tool.

brownjeff :

You will need a scan tool to clear them. Some parts stores will do it for you for free.

Customer:

did a test drive and all was good till the water temp was above the half way mark then the trans would not shift to over drive. Car feels low on power when going up hills here in Atlanta.

Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 8 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

This is not a fuel delivery issue. Would you like me to give you some correct input on this?

I still need more help and hope I can avoid taking it to the dealer.
You don't have to take this to a dealer, what is happening is a closed loop fail saafe operation.
Have you inspected the wiring and underhood for signs of rodent nesting and damage?
As far as I can see its all good. I was going to read the wiring from the ecm to knock sensor for a ground.
Let me know what you find and I can explain all this in detail.
ok
I have gotten to the ecm I need 27e, 28e for the knock sensor ,has five plugs which plug is it and how is it numbered
Looks like its connector E9, the bottom connector, pins 27 and 28, a black wire and a white wire.
What is the chance the ecm is bad?
Not likely
Im having a hard time finding the white wire. The ecm sit on its side with a larger connector on the bottom, Is this the correct one ? I can not find a white wire next to a black wire on this connector. Do you have a better wiring stigmatic.
I'm at work on my i-phone, if you would like I can load any and all diagrams and a full system explanation to this issue when I get home om my pc in a couple hours....
I need any help i can get. I will wait

Hello again and thank you for your patience.

I have a few diagrams for you to look at here:

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

These are all the diagrams you need here. This shows the connector that connects to the computer that has the black and white wires at pin #27 and 28 in this connector, as I see the diagram for connector location this looks like it should be the bottom of the 5 connectors on the computer.

Connector EA1 is where the sensors connect to the vehicles main harness, I would test for continuity between the EA1 and the computer here first.

Tell me what you find.

I took all 5 plugs off the ecm and waited 15min or so and reconnected and it cleared all codes car drove ok for about a few miles then the lights came back on again. Check codes po330 only, so it seems that only one knock sensor came back. Also the car was at run temp so should I change both sensors at 178.00 ea. or do more troubleshooting.I still did not ring out the wiring?

If only one code is coming back this this means that the driver in the computer is not at fault.

Here is the issue you run into on this vehicle is that when you go to replace the sensors it is a LOT of work to remove both intake manifolds to access these sensors, yes we do see these fail but 50% of the time the issue is rats chewing on wires near the intake, 50% of the time it is a bad sensor. I have only had 2 cases where both sensors fail at the same time HOWEVER due to the cost and complexity of the labor to access these I always recommend BOTH sensors be replaced at the same time. The code you have right now is for bank 2 which is the one that is toward the front. The part # XXXXX the sensors is 89615-12090 I show these to retail for $184 each but you can get them for around $140 each if you know where to look.....there are a couple websites from dealers that I use for cheaper parts..... if you go to http://www.mylexparts.com/ or http://www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com/ they sell a LOT cheaper then the local dealer.

While you are in here you will find that there is a 8 inch wiring harness that is only for the knock sensors, this tends to be brittle and it is VERY easy to break.....this is an item that I always change when I do knock sensors, it's only about $30 and is the harness that runs from the sensors to connector EA1, definately replace this as well. I show 2 part #'s for that however.....part # XXXXX is what is supposed to go on this engine but I also see a part #82219-33030 listed, I think this is because this same engine was used in american and Japan made 1mz-fe engines so be sure to verify the correct part # XXXXX this vin# XXXXX before making an order.

I also want to clarify a few things on this truck-

NO the transmission is NOT acting up, the computer has what is called "fail-safe" mode, what happens is when the engine warms up it enters "closed loop" operation where the computer completely controls everything, when certain problems occur or certain codes store what happens is the computer engers the fail-safe mode for that code or condition. In this case when a knock sensor code stores the computer recognizes that it cannot detect an engine knock properly....normally if this engine knocks the compuer retards fuel delivery and ignition timing to suppress a knock, that is why these engine do not chatter and knock like older cars when you put a heavy load on it or use cheap fuel, instead the engine just lacks power that you may or may not notice. Anyway back to the fail-safe: on a knock sensor code the fail-safe protocol is that the computer locks out and shuts down overdrive gear operation, this is so that in case the engine has a knock or chatter that cannot be detected because of the sensor malfunction the engine is not under a heavy load of overdrive that could damage the engine. There was no need for a fuel filter on this truck and the transmission is perfectly fine. Fix these codes and the transmission will come back to life.

Hello, this morning I found EA1 connector, checked the wires all seemed good. No shorted wires to ground and grounds check.So I guess I should change the sensors??
Hello again.
As I discussed in detail yesterday I would really recommend replacing both sensors as well as the $30 harness that runs from the sensors to EA1.
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech