Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

I have a 1994 Lexus ES300. The dashboard airbag light came,

I have a 1994 Lexus...
I have a 1994 Lexus ES300. The dashboard airbag light came, the airbag hasn't deployed. The vehicle has high mileage and I was told that once the vehicle reaches a certain mileage the light will come on. Is there any way to reset the system so the light goes off?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Arthur Douglas
Arthur Douglas, ASE Certified Technician
The light has come on because the system has detected a fault somewhere, possibly with just the indicator light. You will need to have the system reset using a factory compatible scan tool.
Relist: Answer quality.
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

I see you have relisted the question here, I can better help you.

Can you elaborate on this issue a little for me?

Did the light come on while driving or did this come on one day when you went to start the car?

NO, the light does not come on because of high mileage, that is a rediculous statement that you were told.

Was any work done to this car before the light came on?

The light came on when I went to start the car, no work was done on the car priot to the light coming on.

There are 2 diagnostic ports on this car, looks like this:

graphic

The round one is under the dash and the square one is under the hood on top of the engine toward the passenger side.

If you want to clear codes here take 2 wires and insert one into terminal Tc and the other into terminal AB in either port, there is a full map/label on each cover to show you the terminal locations.

Now turn the key to ON (not start just on). Then:

Starting with the Tc terminal, apply body ground alternately

to terminal Tc and terminal AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +

0.5 seconds. (Confirm that body grounds is absolute.) Finally,

keep applying body ground to terminal Tc.

HINT: When alternately grounding the terminals Tc and AB,

release ground from one terminal and immediately apply it to

the other terminal. This action must be done within the time

limits shown below. If you are not within the time limits, repeat

the procedure until you clear the codes.

Do note that the codes and light may have come on because of a weak batery so this should be tested.

lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

Peter,

As you recommended I applied the body ground alternately to terminals Tc and AB and then continuosly to Tc. The airbag light would blink then go out for a few seconds and start back blinking. Am i doing something wrong?

Relist: Expert not available.
Expert not available

Hello again, If you completed the outlined test as I provided and the light still came on then there is a valid problem in the system.

There are some issues that can cause the light to come on and set the light.....for example if the battery voltage is low.....or if a connection is loose but reconnected that can cause the light to come on......the light stays on once there is a problem found but stays off once cleared.

What I am trying to say here is that if the light comes right back on then the system sees a valid problem in the air bag system right now so it is setting a problem code immediately. The air bag system runs a sstem check every time that the key is cycled on this car. If you would like to run a code scan on this car I can try and guide you through an inspection of pulling codes and maybe we can better narrow down what the exact issue is. Let me know if that interests you.

lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Thanks Peter. Yes I would like to run a code scan and would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thank you for your patience and happy 4th of july!

If you take your wires and cross terminals Tc and E1, then turn the key to ON (not start just ON) you cna watch the air bag light blink to count codes, all codes are 2 digits, so for example if hte light blinks 2 times, then 3 times this is code 23, there is a slight pause between codes #'s, you can start over by cycling the key off and back on, be sure to check twice to ensure you have the right code #'s and reply back to me.

Peter, I was able to retrieve a code 22

Hello again, you need to recheck that code #.....a 22 is not a valid code #, I am wondering if this is supposed to be code 11 not 22.....

Peter, maybe it is 11, what would that code be?

we cannot guess on this.......if we guess I am doing you absolutely no good here.....what did the light do when you turned the key on?
It blinked twice, then paused and blinked twice again. I cycled the key and checked it again it did the same thing.
ok, you have a code #11 then, there are 3 parts attached to this code, most likely the spiral cable in the steering wheel is worn out here, it requires removing the air bag and steering wheel to check and replace......that part is a little over $100 plus labor to install.
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
lexpert
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech