Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

I own a 1993 Lexus GS300 and the problems I am having are…

Customer Question
I own a 1993 Lexus...
I own a 1993 Lexus GS300 and the problems I am having are: there are gurgling noises coming from the engine and the radiator’s overflow boils over even blowing the overflow cap off of it. Also, the car occasionally do not start – including nothing happens when the ignition switch is turned on. Meaning no lights, sound, action… nothing.

I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, and water pump. The engine has been tuned up as well. I have a new battery and I had the battery and the ignition system checked without any issues.

The above mentioned problems last happen after the car had sat for four days. Upon attempting to start the car, it would not start. Before boosting the car I check the battery to see if it had a charge and there was not any. (Checked: simply tapping the booster cables together to get a spark - nothing happen.) However, after receiving a boost it started directly. I let the engine run for a half hour and turned the engine off and re-started the engine and it started directly. (The reason for letting the engine run for a half hour was to allow the battery to charge up.) After re-starting the engine I decided to continue to let the car run for another half hour with a load (load - not meaning with it in gear) by turning on the air condition. After the car had run for a half hour, I went to turn the car off there was the gurgling noise and the radiator%
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/26/2010
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 8 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

sounds like 2 issues here.

First you need to have this battery professionally tested, from what you state it sounds like the battery has a BAD CELL and it the no start issue.

As far as overheating goes on the car.....does the car overheat all the time??? Or does the car only overheat in city driving? Or does it only overheat on the highway?

1.) I had the battery checked with two sourcesand both claim there was nothing wrong with the battery. (1. Sears - where I brought the battery and 2. my mechanic.

2.)No, the overheating does not happen all the time. However, it use to happen until the water pump, radiator, and themostat was replaced.

ok, so are you saying that this did NOT start happening unitl the water pump/etc...was replaced then?
No, actually it was happening before the water pump/ etc... was replaced. It just happens less frequently now that those things have been replaced.

Is the termostat positioned with the breather at the 12:00 position?

Have you checked for proper air flow across the condenser and radiator?

I can only hope the themostat is at the correct position with the proper air flow across the condenser and radiator. The car was serviced by an ASE mechanic.
ok, if that is a positive assurance then the next thing to look at here would be the head gasket, the material on the pre 1996 inline 6 was not very durable, it commonly causes combustion chamber pressure to enter the cooling system and cause a boil over.

The mechanic changed the head gasket and checked the combustion in the chamber and all the reading came back good...

you mentioned nothing about the head gaske above.....he CHECKED it or REPLACED it?
Sorry, he replaced it. We thought the engine may have been damaged when the overflowing started to happen, so we decided because of the mileage (309,390.1) we would replace the head gaskets/etc.

was the block and head presssure tested while the head was off then?

What was the lateral runout on the block surface and the head?

The block and head pressure was tested, I do not remebmer waht the lateral runout of the block surface and the head was. However, I do know what you are talking about.

Peter, I am not trying to be evasive, I am not a mechanic and I am tried of these issues. The car has been good to me, I just need to know what I should do to take care of these issues. The mechanic is an ASE mechanic, however, he is not a Lexus mechanic. I do not know if that makes a difference, however, I do not want to get stranded somewhere because of these issues.