Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2003 lexus sc430 convertible top stopped working

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/26/2010
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 8 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Did the top stop while operating or did the light just blink and it would not open when fully closed?

light blinked top would not open
Did you check the valet switch?
yes
ok, I need you to give me detailed inputs and responses here if you are going to get the same from me.....give me a detailed story of what is going on here and what exactly happened, just telling me " the top does not work" does not give me a mental picure of the situation so that I can process this and help you, thanks

The top stopped working a few days ago, the red light blinks but will not open.I checked the trunk to make sure their was no misalingment and rechecked the valet switch.also their is nosense of motors turning.

ok, did the top stop working while in motion or was it fully closed and just refused to open then?
It was fully closed and refused to open.
ok, so you checked to be sure that the cover was in place in the trunk already also then correct? Did you try disconnecting the vehicles battery to reset the ECU that controls this system to see if anything changes?

no i did not

do that and let me know what happens.
Thanks i will
ok

Disconnected the battery this also did not work.

Thank you for the reply, I was offline when you came back.

Ok, if resetting the computers with the disconnect did not work here and you are certain that the valet switch in the glove box is in the correct position and the straps in the trunk are firmly locked in then you have a communication issue in the body control system for this top.......not common on this car as the tops are actually pretty reliable on these. At this point the only option you have is to have a dealer plug in the techstream scan tool to this car so that the data lists can be read and they can check for any trouble fauly codes in this system. Sorry for the bad news, I wish I could help further in this format but this is a multiplex body communication system that controls this car.