Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

91 ls400: some reason our radio and air conditioning quit working…

We have a 91 ls400...
We have a 91 ls400 and for some reason our radio and air conditioning quit working?
6/24/2010
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Does the heater control panel work ?Did you check the fuse ?Was any work done prior to this?
No we had no work done prior to this. our light in the ashtray works but the radio, air and heat just quit working. My husband said that he checked the fuses.
Ok did he check the fuse able links under the hood on the side of the fuse box?
He is checking them now. One thing he wanted me to tell you is that he don't think it is a fuse because on occasion the radio and stuff will work for like maybe 5 min or less. that has happened twice.
Ok is can be a bad connection across the fuseable link or the link itself .Does the heater control panel and blower motor stop working also?
Yes there is no lights no anything. It is like there is no power in the heating and air panel and the radio. The ashtray light works the buttons for seat heating works and the dashboard lights work but not the heat air or radio. It is really weird.
Ok the dash cluster works though correct the gages and lights?Sounds like a fuse able link issue.
My husband wants to know if you could better what that is and where it is. He doesn't know what he is looking for. Are all 91 ls400 alike? Is it something that we have to replace or can we just wiggle it or something? Sorry for the dumb questions. LOL
graphic

Similar to this.
ok we checked everything it wasn't the fusable links but we did get it fixed. Thank you for your time.
Anytime.What was it ?

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
For 10 dollars I will tell you...LOL It was a brass connection in the fuse box under the dash. My son found it. Still we wouldn't have dove into everything like we did if we didn't ask questions. Not to mention it is really to hot to be driving a black lexus in the summer without an airconditioner. I do appreciate that I could even go to a website like this. Thanks again and we will leave a positive feedback.
Excellent glad it's fixed . If you ever need me again I'm here.