Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Excellent: all gears to overdrive no problem..slipping..reverse…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a 92...
Hi, i have a 92 Sc 400. Trans shifts up through all gears to overdrive no problem. No slipping and engages reverse excellent. Fluid has been serviced every 30k and is clean as new. What it does is shifts from 1 to2nd and quick shifts to 3rd. Its not a harsh shift to 3rd. When the trans downshifts from 3rd to 2nd its stalls the engine. When i pull the shifter into 2 it will downshift right to 1st no problem. But if its in drive it will always stall when it goes from 3rd to 2nd. I have no codes for the trans or the engine and the diag circuits work correctly. Heres the interesting part. I tried 3 known good T.P.S at it and if i adjust the TPS to trick the ecu into thinking the throttle plate is not fully closed (IDL) it will down shift from 3rd to 2nd no problem. With one exception, it will surge on and off the gas at cruising speeds. If i calibrate the tps to proper spec, it will drive perfectly smooth with no surging but will not down shift from 3rd to 2nd and stalls. I pulled the trans pan and removed the all 4 solonoids. Ohmed them all and they are within spec( i have the lexus factory shop manuals). I also bench tested each one with 12 volts and they all move forward and back, none are sticking or hanging up in their bores. It looks like someone in the past threw #4 solonoid at the trans because i can see the color difference between it and the other 3 solonoids. It looks new(#4). I dont want to replace this trans because i really think i can fix it. What do you guys think? Thanks Brian (ASE auto tech for 20 years)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
6/24/2010
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 8 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Hello and thank you for using just answer!
I would switch the engine computer with a known good one here first before you tear into the valvebody, the early LS and SC had a known computer problem where the tps does not read correctly and it can cause engine and transmission issues.
Also check the kickdown cable adjustment on this to be sure it is not binding or overadjusted.
Hello Peter, I checked the adjustment on the kick down cable already. I tried adjusting it a few different ways and checked that it wasnt binding in the trans itself,still had the same problem. Lexus must have issued a technical service bulletin if it was a common problem and issued the customer a new ecu under warranty or if it was out of warranty it had to be customer pay. Can you give me the Lexus technical service bulletin # XXXXX this and have you encountered the same problem in the field. If so what were the conditions you encountered? Thanks Brian
No tsib just "known" by thise such as myself that work on these cars daily. Again I would swap the computer before I tore into the valve body.

Ok, so you are saying that you know of the problem im having and by working on them daily you are saying that the ECU fixed the problem with the conditions im describing? We are both in the same field of work and neither of us want to throw parts at it. Did the ECU fix this"common problem?"

No I do not like to throw parts at a car, and you have obviously done a lot of inspection on this car and some difficult tear down to do so, but what I am saying here is that I specialize in Lexus and work on these daily so I have purchased a computer for the older Sc400's and another for the older LS400's so that when issues like this pop up I can do some basic and easy checks before I get too involved such as pulling a pan.

This issue is either false TPS reading causing abnormal high pressure command or you have an issue in the valve body. If one of the solenoids were out of range then the overdirve light should have been blinking when driving.