Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

2003 Lexus: suspension issue..changed the tires three times..GTs…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Lexus...
I have a 2003 Lexus SC 430 that I have owned for about 4 years. I have a handling / suspension issue that I cannot seem to sort out. I have changed the tires three times in an attempt to get the car to handle better and I currently have new Good Year Eagle GTs on it. The car appears to actually pitch diagnonally if I enter a turn on any road surface that is unstable. For example, if I am in a right hand turn and the left rear of the car loads up and if I am on any type of uneven road surface the left rear appears to pitch to load up the front right to the point where the car has a very unstable feel. The same thing occurs if I am in a left turn except the right rear pitches the load to the left front. I have had the suspension checked out by several shops and every time I am told everything is normal. Possibly this is as good as it gets in terms of handling but I really think a car like this must handle better than it does. I am looking for a solution. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2010
Lexus Mechanic: Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Lexus question. Your best option without doing major suspension work is to install heavy duty sway bars. This will help keep all the wheels planted firmly through turns.

Do you know if this is an inherent problem with this car Also who manufactures the sway bar you speak of? I have purchased and installed sway bars in the past to sort out instability but this feels different.

You can check the TRD website, but if you want serious performance, check racing equipment sites. Most people are VERY happy with the handling of their SC's, but it is not a racecar. Therefore, upgrades are necessary for serious performance. Same as all car lines.

Thanks very much; I am not looking for racing type handling but this car is by far the worst handling car I have ever had. I have not driven another one (SC 4300 to compare but I am convinced if they all handled like mine there would be forums all over the web pointing that out. All said, I am willing to install sway bars if you feel this will be helpful but my question is; does the car not have sway bars from the factory?

This car pitches and dives in turns unlike anything I have ever seen. I have a couple of BMWs (old and new) and also an Acura. There is no comparison to the handling with the Lexus being the worst. I will accept your answer and move on but I confess I was looking for something more specific based on your experience with solving these issues. FYI; I have contacted a company who manufactures the sway bars and suspension parts but they tell me there isn't any sway bars available for that vehicle. This company was TM Engineering.

Please don't take my comments as negative; I am just looking for more specific advice.