Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Does the lexus gs430 has an inherit light steering wheel…

Customer Question
Does the lexus gs430 has...
Does the lexus gs430 has an inherit light steering wheel problem, if so can it be modified or fixed
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lexus
12/29/2009
Lexus Mechanic: Matt J, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be more than happy to assist you.

By light steering wheel problem are you referring to it is too easy to steering?

Any extra info you can give me helps.

I am the owner of a GS400 and am concidering getting a GS430 but a lot of Club Lexus members complain that the 430 has a lighter steering, especially at higher speeds. I was also informed that there is and ajustment in the rack and pinion that can be made to tighten it up so it's more stable at high speeds. What's your experience with this. Also, is there anything that I should be looking out for on this model, that's been problematic. I know on the Gs400 the lower ball joints seems to be an issue, I recently changed mine. The GS430 in question has 38k,
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 8 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Is there a specific year GS430 you are looking at?
2004

Sorry for the delay.

The purpose of power steering is to help you turn the wheels at low speeds and when you are not moving. Once you are driving power steering is not needed. In your vehicle you have a Rack and Pinion type of steering gear. There are two fluid ports, one on either side of the piston. Supplying higher-pressure fluid to one side of the piston forces the piston to move, which in turn moves the rack, providing the power assist.

The high pressure fluid come from the power steering pump. No since you only need the high pressure fluid at low speed to assist you in steering there is a Pressure Control Valve in the pump that will bleed of the high pressure when it is not needed. If the pressure valve gets stuck closed then you will have high pressure from the pump all the time. With high pressure all the time the steering will have a effortless feel to it as faster speeds.

On most vehicles you either replace the pressure control valve or the whole pump assembly. But on the GS430 it is controlled electronically by the PPS ECU. It uses a computer to monitor the vehicles speed and then tell a solenoid on the power steering pump how much to open or close the pressure valve.

So now we have to factor in the pressure control valve, pressure control solenoid, PPS ECU, blown ECU IG fuse, or wiring.

Most likely the pressure control valve is the problem, but with out testing I can not be sure. There are places out there that do have kits to for the pressure control valve or to rebuild the whole pump.

A replacement pump from Lexus cost $475.29 and 1.5 hours to replace.

Thanks, ***** ***** be test driving this car today so I will compare the feel with the feel of my gs400. But also, I think some people mintioned that, brand new out of the dealer, the high speed steering is not as firm as they would like it to be. I also heard of some people putting in and after market PPS ECU, is this possible, to get one that is more sport tuned and if so do you have any reccomendations.

Below is the second part of the question that you did not address. Thanks for you assistance.

"Also, is there anything that I should be looking out for on this model, that's been problematic. I know on the Gs400 the lower ball joints seems to be an issue, I recently changed mine".

The GS400 and the GS430 have the exact same power steering system. They both the same part #' and are programed the same. If you have been driving the GS400 for a long time, then the GS430 should feel the same.

The simplest way to change the power steering assist is to install a resister in the power input to the control valve solenoid. The more power you have going to the solenoid the more power steering assist you have. If the voltage is lower then the less assist you have. A resister will lower the voltage range going to the solenoid and help at higher speeds. But it may make the power assist a little more stiffer at lower speeds.

You can also put a control dial in like a volume button for the radio. This way you can manual control the system your self of dial it to what feel the best for you.

Sorry I missed the second question you had in the second post.

The most common problems are Oil Leaks, Idle Air Control Valve sticking, and Oxygen Sensors going out. Other than that the vehicle is reliable and well built.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks again for your information. With regards ***** ***** Idle air control valve sticking, whats' the symptom and usually at what millage it occur and how is it remedied and approximate cost. Thanks

Sorry for the delay I had to go to the dentist and have a crack wisdom tooth pulled.

The only time you will see this problem is at idle, the rpms will bounce up and down, stay low, or stay high. Also when coming to a stop the vehicle will die or get close to it.

The main cause is carbon buildup in the throttle body bore where the Idle Air Control Valve mounts (IAC). Over time carbon will build up in the bore and on the IAC pintel. If the carbon does not get cleaned off from time to time, it builds up and jams the IAC pintel. So time the IAC and the bore can be cleans to make it work again, but most times it need to be replaced.

To help this from happening you should have a throttle body cleaning 1 or 2 time a year. This will help prevent too much carbon build up.

The throttle body would have to be replaced part cost is $777.81 and labor is 1.5 hours.

Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks, ***** ***** contacting you in the future

No problem, Let me know any time you need anything and Thank You for using Just Answer.