Lexus

Lexus Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus

How do I replace the front brake pads on a 2001 Lexus es300.

One of the worn pads...
How do I replace the front brake pads on a 2001 Lexus es300. One of the worn pads just fell out in the street as I was pulling out of my drive and the brakes go to the floor.
11/2/2009
Jason
Jason, ASE Certified Technician

This is a pretty vague question.They are several steps,tools and equipment needed to replace brakes. Do you have tools? Are you replacing rotors? (since the pad fell out, you probably need rotors) Does it need hardware?

I can assure you, if you attemp to drive it, the damage and repair cost will keep going up.

Jason

Good Morning Jason, Things are extreemly tight so I have to buy the pads and do it myself. I'm sure there is scarring on the rotors but I cant afford to do anything with that for a month. I just want to put new pads on now to get by until then. It's in my driveway now.I have a lot of tools. What do I need and do you have step by step instructions or a place I can go to get them ? I appreciate your help.

Well, its pretty easy.

Remove tires

unbolt 2 14mm bolts that hold caliper to pad holder, remove caliper, Squeeze piston into caliper with large pliers, vise grips or special tool.

Use a screwdriver and remove old pads

Transfer over any shims from old to new pads

Install new pads into pad holder

Slide caliper back over pads and install and tighten 2 14mm bolts.

If you have problems, just post up and I'll get ya through it.

Are you doing it today?

You'll need a very large pair of pliers to push caliper piston in, so make sure you have that before you start.

Jason

Fantastic !! I will probably try to do it this evening when I get home from work. I do have large pliers and I have good hand strength so unless it takes something super human I should be all set.If I lost a shim will the pads I buy at an auto repair place come with them? I can also wait a couple of days to do it; do you recommend buying the pads online or at the store here. I live in Naples Fl.Also will the directions you gave me be in my e-mail so I can print them out? Let me know so I can push accept. Also will there be an e-mail so I can contact you again to let you know how it goes and to ask some other questions on other repair issues...like the back brakes which I'm sure are next. Thanks, Paul

The pliers should be fine.

Since you are not replacing or machining rotors, get the pads wherever easiest

Sry, I cannot email you directions, you'll have to print screen.

I will around most of the day and evening, just post up with questions and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Jason

Jason
Jason, ASE Certified Technician
Thank You Jason !!
You're welcome
Jason
Jason
Jason, ASE Certified Technician