Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

how to fix the following errors P0171 System Too Lean (Bank1)

Customer Question
how to fix the following...
how to fix the following errors “P0171 System Too Lean (Bank1) and P0330 Knock Sensor2 Circuit (Bank2)” on a 2000 Lexus ES300
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Lexus
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2009
Lexus Mechanic: AutoTech08, Workshop owner replied 13 years ago
AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner

Hi there,

DTC P0171 : SYSTEM TOO LEAN

Possible causes are :

Exhaust system leak.
Air intake hose loose.
Fuel line pressure.
Injector blockage.
Faulty Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor.
Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.
Faulty A/F sensor.
Faulty ECM.

Quite often it is the MAF that is faulty and requires replacement.

DTC P0330: KNOCK SENSOR, BANK 2 (LEFT BANK)

Possible causes are :

Open or short in knock sensor circuit.
Knock sensor (loose).
Faulty ECM.

Testing would be required to confirm what is wrong. Since you have other other trouble codes which might be related, rectify the P0171 first and clear codes and perform the following test to check if the problem returns.

Start and warm engine to normal operating temperature.

Snap accelerate engine 3 times to 4000 RPM.

Retrieve trouble codes.

Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 13 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech

You asked how to fix the problem not for a list of "possible" causes here.

These 2 codes are not related.

For the knock sensor codes you need to inspect the wiring harness around the engine to be sure there are no signs of rodent damage (chew marks) on the harness.

Knock sensor codes are common on the 1mz-fe engine. The ultimate solution here is to replace BOTH knock sensors that are located under the lower intake manifold and also replace the sub wiring harness that runs from the sensors to the main harness at the same time.

As far as a p0171 this is a fuel trim lean code, 95% of the time this is due to a dirty or defective mass air flow sensor on the vehicle. The MAF is located on the air filter box of the vehicle, remove the 2 phillips head screws to remove this sensor and use low pressure compressed air to clear out the internal sensors in this part, then retest the car to see if condition is improved or resolved. These typically cause lack of power on acceleration as well as reduced fuel economy.

once the MAF is replace do any codes or anything needs to reset in the car computer?
No, you would need to clear them with the scan tool or disconnect the battery to clear the codes and retest.
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech