Lexus

Lexus troubleshooting questions? Ask a Lexus Expert

Lexus gs300: wont start..central locking ,wipers,etc etc..drained…

Customer Question
my lexus gs300 is immobolized...
my lexus gs300 is immobolized and wont start ,everything works lights ,central locking ,wipers,etc etc ,turns over perfect ,just wont fire up .did some audio work and changed the head unit again(lights were on ) and drained the battery ,so had to charge it ,now it wont start ,and the alarm light inside the car is on all the time, how do i reset the immobolizer ....any ideas ....roger UK
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Lexus
8/12/2008
Lexus Mechanic: lexpert, Lexus Master tech replied 9 years ago
lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Hello and thank you for using just answer. What year gs do you have? Immobilizer does not get "reset" on this car, it registers off the chip in the key EVERY time you insert the key to the ignition. It sounds like you are dealing with either a blown fuse or the alarm is engaged. If the alarm is engaged simply manually unlocking the driver door will deactivate this. It sounds more like something else, be sure to check all fuses, you most likely blew one or more when swapping the radio. Be sure to pay close attention to the EFI fuse.
the year of the lexus is a 2000 where can i find the efi fuse

Thank you for your prompt reply. The efi si just one fuse that needs to be cheked, you could have blown several. See this link, it shows locations and listings:

DOWNLOAD

tried the manual door opening ,but the alarm went off ,so used the remote to disarm it ,tried to start the engine but the battery died again ,checked the EFI fuse and thats ok ,what would be the fuses that would possibly be blown ( as there is quite alot )the security light was still lit in the car when i tried the key idea
Ok, if you were able to set the alarm off AND deactivate it with the keyless then this is most likely not a alarm issue. You said battery died again????? Do you need a battery? Did you jump start this car by chance? You really need to check the fuses. Do you have access to a scan tool also, it may be a good idea to check codes. If you were doing audio work there is a very good possibility that you either shorted something resulting in a blown fuse OR you cut a wire you should not have thus creating this issue.
battery died again yesterday when trying to start the car ,that is ok did not jump start car unfortunatly have not got access to scan tools ....it just seems that since doing the audio work and having the doors open which drained the battery somethings gone wrong ,after i charged the battery yesterday and then reconnected it it would turn over for a long time ,so battery is good ,just forgot to charge it back up again .its just like that old saying ( the lights are on but nobody is home )everything works but it just wont fire up
Check fuses, if fuses are good then vehicle needs to be scanned for codes in the body control system, I have seen some problems with immobilizer rings on these cars but the work you performed would not cause that. If this system is a problem it would set a code. YOu can also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes with dors closed to reset the system and see if it will fire up. You didn't mess around in the ignition area did you?
checked fuses all ok ,did not touch the ignition system ,how do i check codes to see whats wrong ,who do i call ???
have taken the battery off twice now to charge it ,and each time there is a beeping from under the bonnet when i disconnect it ,is this normal ?
Beeping noise from under dash after the battery is out is not normal.....do you have an aftermarket alarm? Lexus or toyota dealer has the appropriate scan tool to communicate with the body control system to check this.
the alarm is a lexus alarm ,i have not installed another one ,would lexus come out to the car ?
Most delaers have roadside assistance, you would have to call your local dealer to see if this is an option.