Edward
Edward, Attorney
Experience:  ERJ Contracting
105814639

I have been accused of defamation and received a cease and

Customer Question

I have been accused of defamation and received a cease and desist letter
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Toronto Ontario Canada
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing, i just received the letter yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All I did was repost a screenshot of the original poster and my tweet happens to get passed around. Now im being accused of defamation
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 24 days ago.

Greetings,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear what happened. Can you tell me more about what was posted in the screenshot and the details surrounding this situatin?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It was just 6 names of males who sexually assaulted girls all over Toronto. I REPOSTED the screenshot to spread awareness and by doing so, 3 women came up and spoke. Therefore, they decided to take it further and take 3/6 of the men to legal orders and currently in criminal investigation.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
However, the one without an open case filed a cease and desist letter of defamation
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Its not a legally binding letter but im scared it'll turn into a lawsuit
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The defamation suit was launched under someone who associates heavily with the group but no actual accusations were made against him but the tweet included his name and that the tweet was made from a victim who obviously put his name in there for a reason
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
For a better summarized version, I was sent a letter from a lawyer saying I was slandering someone’s name but I didn’t make the actual tweet she just REPOSTED it and they want her to post an apology and pay $10K but it’s not an actual lawsuit yet and there’s an open criminal investigation so I can’t issue a statement saying it’s not true otherwise it would hurt the criminal investigation
Expert:  Edward replied 23 days ago.
If you don’t have personal first hand knowledge that he engaged in any assault (Ie - you are not the victim) and with no case open against him, I would remove any post you made.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have already
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
But theyre making me want to pay 10k
Expert:  Edward replied 23 days ago.
I would refuse and just respond that the post has been removed. He would still have to show you damaged him with your post which is not easy to do in a lawsuit, even in defamation per se situations where damages are presumed.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hes a club promoter so being accused of sexual assault isnt a good look which cost him to lose clients and his club promoter job
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I didnt accuse him or posted it for malicious purposes. I reposted the victim's post to spread awarenessz
Expert:  Edward replied 23 days ago.
I would still wouldn’t give in and force them to have to bring a case and prove any damages. Also it is possible he could get arrested at a later date which defeat any defamation suit he is trying to pursue
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
what should I respond back? Denying the claims?
Expert:  Edward replied 23 days ago.
I would deny the claims and reiterate you were not the original source of this content.
Expert:  Edward replied 19 days ago.

Greetings,

Our thread is still open and presently awaiting your response. I wanted to take a moment and see if you are ok. If you have any other questions, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Also if you have no further questions, …feel free to send a quick "Thank you, I'm good" message so I know to have this thread closed. Best Regards...

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you im good!
Expert:  Edward replied 19 days ago.

You are very welcome. In the future, if I can be of further assistance, please let me know.