Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Texas attorney general has put a lein on my bank account.

Texas attorney general has put a lein on my bank account. During this pandemic. Is there anything I can do to uplift it.
JA: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?
Customer: No. I've spoken with the office of attorney general.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None other than trying to negotiate with them. They are trying to take 80 percent. At the same time , the account is also linked to my business and some of the funds are for customer parts.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: These are arrears and I'm not obligated to pay new child support since I have split custody.

Hello! Thanks for coming to the site. I’m an attorney ready to help. Just a few quick things before we get started:

• I always go for immediate responses, but I am occasionally called away for client meetings so sometimes there may be a slight delay in my responses. Nevertheless, you will receive responses as soon as possible;

• The system will request a phone call. It looks like I am making the request, but it is an automatic request. I’m more than happy to talk on the phone if you’d like, but you are not required to accept the call request; and

• Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

So there are a few things to consider:

1. At the point of a lien, your options are very, very limited;

2. The best thing you could do is ask the AG's office for a payment plan. Doing this may lift the lien so long as you're on time with payments;

3. You can apply for a modification through the site below:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/child-support/paying-and-receiving-child-support/get-back-track/modify-child-support/support-modification-process

4. You could open up another bank account or work in cash to help with the cash flow issues;

5. Debts like these can't be discharged in bankruptcy;

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Even with this pandemic and shutdowns. Is it still possible for them to do this?

Yes, it is. Since child support is a right that a child has, and since a pandemic only increases the need for child support arrears to be made whole, the pandemic doesn't change anything for those in arrears. I'm very sorry. You must consider my suggestions if you want to help lessen the pain at this stage.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will...last question. How much of a percentage are they allowed to take.

So when there is a lien on an account, they take all the money until the arrears are paid. This is why I'm suggesting you should have another account, work with PayPal, Venmo, or work in cash because the money from this account is gone until you're paid up.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. But if we agree to allow so much out and the lein is lifted , will I be able to use account.

Yes, that's correct.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. Now is there anyway I can file a grievance on the person in their office. Just because of how rude and unprofessional their tactics during negotiations have been

Sure thing. You can click below and file a complaint.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/open-government/governmental-bodies/complaints-overview

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. They said I could file for a motion to see judge about lifting the lein but would give me info on how to do that. Would you happen to know.

Sure thing.

If you click below, you can see the procedures on how to do this.

https://texaslawhelp.org/resources/changing-family-court-order-modification-forms

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. Thanks alot. That will be it.

Ok, excellent. Unless you have additional questions, there are just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

• The system may ask for a rating of this discussion. Five-stars is always appreciated! It’s the only way I receive credit for this interaction, so a positive rating goes much further than you can imagine!

• You can save me as a favorite after you rate.

• Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No problem. Plenty of help.

Thank you!!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Your welcome

:-0)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Very helpful and quickly responded to all questions. 5 stars

Thank you so much!!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Your welcome