Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer
Experience:  Member at Keefer & Keefer LLC
60270870

I signed a contract to sale in January, the contract expires

I signed a contract to sale in January, the contract expires in July. I attempted to contact the buyer and they never responded. I decided to sell my property to someone else as it appeared they weren't interested. I am now under contract to sell to another buyer and the previous buyer will not release me from my contract
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: excuse the typo
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: texas
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello. My name is Wendy and I am an attorney. A lot of what options you may have will depend on what the original contract said in terms of when and how it could be cancelled. If there was not a basis to cancel it but you are now bound by another contract, there may be some legal claim the original potential buyer may have against you. But if the contract did allow for cancellation before July and you followed how to do so, then you would likely be pretty safe from legal action. The non-response of the first buyer was undoubtedly frustrating but it may not have been sufficient to undo that contract.

I hope this information helps. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this message. I will be away from my computer off and on today and will respond to any follow-up questions as soon as they come to my attention. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It didn't detail when and how it could be cancelled. What would be sufficient reasons for wanting a release?

Generally, if the contract had an automatic expiration in July, and no provision to terminate early, the only way it could be is death of a party or some other similar significant event that could make it impossible to complete any sale.