Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  19 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 27 yrs
19958803

When I moved into my apartment I didn’t get a contract and

When I moved into my apartment I didn’t get a contract and was told to not pay till I got a contract ! I moved in around the 15 of April but didn’t get a contract till 9-22-19 , can they legally charge me for living here if I never had a binding contract and can they evict me if I’m trying to play catch up now
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: north Dakota
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been paying what they said I owed ! My rent is 600 a month I paid 3300 and they said I owe 2100 more
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just what my legal obligations are and if I have any grounds

Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation.

.

You will likely be offered a live phone call by the website. It is not from me.

.

If you would like a call, another attorney will provide that service. I only work on the website. and prefer to type my responses so they are in front of you.

.

There may be a short delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual independent practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

can they legally charge me for living here if I never had a binding contract

.

Of course they can.. no one ever gets to live somewhere for free.. If you had no written contract, then you were month to month under a verbal contract until you signed a written one.. But you still owe rent from the date you moved in..

.

and can they evict me if I’m trying to play catch up now

.

Yes, if you can't pay all the rent that is owed after they give you a written 3 day notice to pay or vacate, then they can file a formal eviction action in court to get a hearing date and then a judgment and writ of possession that the sheriff would execute to force you to leave.

.

But if they give you a 3 day and then they accept a partial payment, they have to start over with a new 3 day showing the remainder that is owed..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanx

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need to reach me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes sir thanx