How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17368
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a notice to quit if I don't vacate does the

This answer was rated:

I received a notice to quit if I don't vacate does the management company need then file with court
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Carolina I used to work for company and feel singled out
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I only received, a non official notice to quit, not notarized giving me util 5 pm to vacate Today
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK thank you , as I have few more questions about it


Yes, if a tenant does not leave after receiving a notice to quit, then they cannot simply put you out. They would have to file a lawsuit for eviction (which you would have the opportunity to respond to and there would be a court hearing) and get a court order to evict you first.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
even if they are insisting I don't have to leave tomorrow ? Also are there actions I can take ,ie suing etc ? Also if a manager doesn't have a pcm license and my lease isnt signed what can be done
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They are claiming to come to lock out the apartment today not legal correct

Not legal for them to lock you out, correct. That would be the use of "self-help" and isn't legal. You could sue them for damages incurred. I'd even suggest you call the police if they try to lock you out.

You may have grounds to dispute the notice too -since they have to give you more than 24 hours in a notice to quit (I believe the minimum is 5 days in South Carolina).

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
they pretty much are using scare tactics can I send you copy of letter used
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I think its copied and pasted with errors

Sure you can.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Time has passed tomorrow is last day . they wanted me out monday but got extension
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
May I send you copy for thoughts has not come from court yet


Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Also . do I have to open door ?, also what if they have deputy w them
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where may I send it
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They may use master keys to open door as they have done In past with other s
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Do you have an email address ?

You can send it as an attachment.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where should I send itto
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't have to vacate ...I'll send over

I doubt they would have a sheriff with them -and if they did, an officer should know that they need a writ of possession to evict you.. You have a right to privacy and they cannot simply open your door.

Your screen looks different than mine --but there should be a paperclip icon where you can attach a file?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can send I think in text box pic
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Here you go . let me know thoughts

Well, it's full of typos, but it does state that if you don't vacate within 14 days that the landlord will take legal action. In other words, whether they recognize it or not, they cannot use self-help and just lock you out.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that is the funny part. So , I will just contact police if need be. So basically, they can move forward but would have to be through court s and proper eviction

Correct, yes.

If you have follow-up questions or need clarification about this matter, please don't hesitate to REPLY, and I'll do all I can to help you. If not, please don't forget to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave a positive rating for me, as that is the only way experts like myself are credited by the site. Thank you.
RobertJDFL and 16 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you