Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

If a life insurance policy is in place and a decedent spouse

If a life insurance policy is in place and a decedent spouse is not designated as beneficiary to their employee benefit life insurance policy, can they sue the insurance company for community property or bad faith? In other words can they make the insurance company liable because they are challenging a designation?
Attorney Bill assisting you today with your legal matter.
No the spouse couldn't sue insurance company for the designation unless there was a court order or property agreement in effect that mandated a designation to rhe surviving spouse.
The spouse could however look at suing the estate or demanding their spousal inheritance rights including their right to elect if the will didn't leave them their due share.
If you need more assistance, just let me know, here to help.
In return please click accept and continue to rate 5*****, 4**** or 3 stars.
This is how I get a credit for my time.
Thanks
Attorney Bill
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if they are demanding their spousal inheritance rights they still would not be able to take the insurance to court making them personally liable for an insurance claim?
If you are in a community property State you can make a demand to the insurance company for your spousal inheritance rights.
The insurance company would usually have required the spouse to sign a waiver of interest, if they didn't do this then there would be scope for liability.
Just a reminder to rate 5*****, 4**** or 3 stars, this is how I get a credit for my time.
Best
Attorney Bill