ChrisAEsq
ChrisAEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years as civil litigation attorney with emphasis on construction, real estate and land use/zoning.
104429575

I stated to my insurance company I wanted limited tort but I

Hi so I stated to my insurance company I wanted limited tort but I didn’t know I had to sign a form restating that so they moved my tort to full that’s fine to me but I cancelled my insurance today with them today and was supposed to get a credit of $1,000 and some change but instead they say I owed back date prices because when it went to full tort I had to pay back date prices but I read up on the pa law and it doesn’t say when the date should start so it doesn’t say anything about back date expenses I’d be liable for but it did say it would switch to full tort. So now I owe money to them even though I cancelled is that accurate?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Hi so I stated to my insurance company I wanted limited tort but I didn’t know I had to sign a form restating that so they moved my tort to full that’s fine to me but I cancelled my insurance today with them today and was supposed to get a credit of $1,000 and some change but instead they say I owed back date prices because when it went to full tort I had to pay back date prices but I read up on the pa law and it doesn’t say when the date should start so it doesn’t say anything about back date expenses I’d be liable for but it did say it would switch to full tort. So now I owe money to them even though I cancelled is that accurate?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I am happy to assist you today. Initially, please note that my comments are provided for general information purposes only and that I am not permitted to provide legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information provided here is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of the information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state-by-state basis, and I am licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. You should not act on information I provide without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

That doesn't sound right to me, unless the charges are for coverage you received after the change to full tort, which they had not yet charged you for. The "effective date" of your coverage determines the date from which you are liable to pay the additional charges, for full tort.

Once I have answered your question to your satisfaction, kindly accept the answer by using the rating system at the top of your page. There is no extra charge for doing so. Thanks, Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that’s exactly my issue they said I requested limited tort on April 18th which is correct, they said sometime in June I was switched to full tort since I didn’t state in writing that I wanted limited tort, understandable. These back date charges I’m not understanding because if a situation came up from April to June I would’ve been treated as a limited tort consumer not full so why should I have to pay for services that I wouldn’t have been able to use if problems arose. It’s like paying for something I never used. I can understand from June to now paying full tort though which again I did do. So instead of getting my $1,000 credit they’re saying I owe them $600 for this and I don’t know how to go against it. Like I said in the pa law regarding tort it doesn’t say anything about backdating prices so what should I do?

If they want to "backdate" like this, I think it incumbent for them to explain to you why they are charging you for coverage you never had. As you point out, there is no law saying they can charge you for coverage you never received.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what should I do to get the money they’ve taken already for these unheard of charges and the money that I should be getting when I cancel my policy early. I want what I’m owed for early cancellation and the money they’ve put towards these charges already without notifying me. I’ve also checked my email and seen they’ve never sent me an email to sign anything so there’s a lot of fault on their behalf.