Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have been notified by the District Court for Maryland

I have been notified by the District Court for Maryland (Montgomery County) to appear in court as a witness. I have looked up the provided case number ***** I have no connection to this case. What is going on?
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Before I connect you, is there anything else you'd like the Lawyer to know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The case number ***** ***** court date is 30 May
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correction: I am being called as a victim.

Hello! Thanks for coming to the site. I am an attorney ready to answer your questions. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation!

It's hard to know exactly what's going on. It's entirely possible it was just a mistake by the court.

Sometimes, a person needs to quash or modify a subpoena. A subpoena is a demand that a person participate in some court proceedings, such as producing a document or testifying under oath. Generally, to do this, a person can submit a motion to quash on the grounds that the subpoena

(i) fails to allow a reasonable time to comply;
(ii) requires a person to comply beyond the geographical limits;
(iii) requires disclosure of privileged or other protected matter, if no exception or waiver applies; or
(iv) subjects a person to undue burden.
In this case, you would need to say to the court that you are not involved in this case in any way so you should be dismissed.
Once the motion is served on the opposing party, they will have a chance to oppose the motion if they wish. They must file and serve their opposition. Regardless, the magistrate will review the documents and either a) call a hearing to have you make oral arguments or b) make a decision without a hearing. Also, you’ll be notified of the magistrate’s decision in writing.

Because I value your input, did you have any other questions about this that I can help out with:-)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand what you have written. What I need clarified is exactly how do I make the motion to quash? I would like to do this before the*****date. Can I go to the District Court in Rockville and initiate the motion personally with the Clerk of Court during normal business hours?