Positive dealing with Bipolar 2 disorder. At time being

I’m HIV positive dealing...

I’m HIV positive dealing with Bipolar 2 disorder. At time being bipolar affect my work and I have my temper outburst or loose tracks of my meetings. My supervisor already ask me if there is anything wrong and I don’t know how to respond to that and say No. I’m not sure how much I have to disclose for them to respect the fact that I... Read full answer

I’m HIV positive dealing with Bipolar 2 disorder. At time being bipolar affect my work and I have my temper outburst or loose tracks of my meetings. My supervisor already ask me if there is anything wrong and I don’t know how to respond to that and say No. I’m not sure how much I have to disclose for them to respect the fact that I have to go to therapy and get blood work every 3 months. I’m afraid one day they can take my behavior and many doctor’s appointment and fire me. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have not been terminated but I have been called to my supervisor’s office to discuss my temperament and they always make a face when I tell them that I’m at a Dr Appointment... I don’t think they believe me. i don’t have a lawyer yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Advertising agency. No Union. No proteccion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m concerned thy are going to take action against me and fire me because of my be bipolar 2 behavior. Depression. Mood swings. hypomania, anxiety etc. Plus the HIV situation. They misjudg my behavior and loooks. I don’t look sick. And usually I’m a fun guy. I’m afraid they think I’m making everything up.

2/8/2019
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Being Bipolar is considered a disability. In other words, if it severely impacts your ability to keep a job, you would be eligible for disability benefits.

An employer cannot fire you for being bipolar. At the same time, the employer cannot be forced to keep you employed if you are unable to do the job. The employer must though attempt to make reasonable accommodations for you. Let's say in a less stressful job.

So, yes, if your mood swings affect your performance or ability to interact with co-workers, it could affect your job. However, the employer would have to make reasonable accommodations if possible.

If you have a follow-up question or I missed one of your questions, just let me know.

Otherwise, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars on your page without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a mood disorder, anxiety disorder, and am bipolar.
I have a mood disorder, anxiety disorder, and am bipolar. But today I received a notice for jury duty. I believe being a juror would be too stressful for me. Can I be relieved of serving on a jury? … read more
VL Lawyer
VL Lawyer
Juris Doctorare
My husband has a, history of mental health issues of PTSD,
My husband has a long, long history of mental health issues of PTSD, anxiety, and Bipolar disorder. He is a Vietnam veteran and I have been with him for about 18 years or so and married for about 12 y… read more
DamienJD
DamienJD
Attorney,
My wife has polar issues and I need legal help to get her
my wife has bi polar issues and I need legal help to get her medicated. … read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
Stop searching for answers—
Is there any thing an employer do about their boss throwing
Is there any thing an employer do about their boss throwing temper fits, constant mood swings, disrespect, evil looks and just making your life stressed and upsetting everyday… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
EO Legal Adviser and Assistant Professor,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Returned to work on last Thursday, after 11 weeks out for disability.
Returned to work on last Thursday, after 11 weeks out for disability. Just recently diagnosed as bipolar. two weeks ago my husband was found to have cancer. Was telling my co-worker about my husband's… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
I have a temp restraining order on my bf we have a court hearing
I have a temp restraining order on my bf we have a court hearing on june 7th. We are expecting a child and I would not like this to be permanent. I don't want to loose credibility either incase I need… read more
Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne
Attorney-at-Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I dated a guy who admitted being an alcoholic within the first
I dated a guy who admitted being an alcoholic within the first 4 months. At first I thought he was making fun of himself but made mental note. He wasn't lying. His mood swings, outbursts of rage and a… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
i was being treated for anger managment and depprecian, not
i was being treated for anger managment and depprecian, not really knowing what was causing it at the time. I had my dr. give me a note saying i was being treated for mood swing/depresion. shortly aft… read more
D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ.
Hearing Officer/Attorney,
Dear Sir or Madam, I am a manager at a fast food franchise.
Dear Sir or Madam, I am a manager at a fast food franchise. I have been accused and written up for sexual harassment at work. I have done absolutely nothing wrong, there is no proof. This has had a ho… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My wife and I have tried everything for the last 5 years to
My wife and I have tried everything for the last 5 years to help our now 28 year old son with his bipolar disorder but he refuses to take his medications or get help from psychiatric doctors or go to … read more
Counselor at Law,
Need to evict roomate immedialtely in the state of colorado
Need to evict roomate immedialtely in the state of colorado roomate is menatlly ill and is now making threats please advise… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Attorney at Law,
I live in Roanoke VA, and I am 50 year old retired Lab Technologist.
I live in Roanoke VA, and I am 50 year old retired Lab Technologist. I have had a serious illness the past 9 years that has kept me on a lot of medication. Some of that medication is for depression. A… read more
LegalEase101
LegalEase101
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Our son is being pestered by his older brother both at work
Our son is being pestered by his older brother both at work and at home and last night it resulted in his older brother being forcibly ejected from our home at midnight. His older brother called the p… read more
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly
Private Practice Attorney,
I lost my maine drivers license in 1998 for OUI. I also have
I lost my maine driver's license in 1998 for OUI. I also have like 22 reinstatement fees and 3 violation tix. I have recently contacted the lawyer handling the OUI accident, where I had hit someone, n… read more
Lawyer,
Hi I suffer from bipolar disorder post traumatic stress disorder
Hi I suffer from bipolar disorder post traumatic stress disorder and couple of minor mental illness I am a gay man living in NYC and was with someone for almost 5 yrs at that time I was 24 and he was … read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,
My girlfriend is bipolar . I have done everything I can to ...
My girlfriend is bipolar . I have done everything I can to help her. She is still having very bad mood disorders. What are the chances of me getting customy of our 4 year old daughter. She does not hi… read more
Lawmoe
Lawmoe
Lawyer with 20 years of experience,
I am divorced and my ex-husband and I have no issues ...
I am divorced and my ex-husband and I have no issues whatsoever. We have a very good relationship. We have two children- 4 and 3. The problem is that my ex's girlfriend is very hostile toward me, very… read more
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Certified Mediator,
We think our supervisor is bi polar. What steps can we ...
We think our supervisor is bi polar. What steps can we take to remove her from supervising our group. We all agreed the owner of the company would fire us before her. She is driving us absolutely craz… read more
4ren6
4ren6
Retired,