Ben S.
Ben S., Attorney
Experience:  President at The Soffer Law Firm PC
102822940

My girlfriend went to arbitration over a credit card debt

My girlfriend went to arbitration over a credit card debt with discover card back on October 10th.The ruling was in favor of Discover card.She wants to appeal but she found out she has to pay 500 $ to appeal and she does not have the money ;what can she do?
JA: What state is your girlfriend in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: None;she has to answer 5 questions;she has until tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really ;this is all I know ;she wants to appeal but does not have the 500 $ fee
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you help?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please answer my question

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, which does not come from me - it is offered by the JustAnswer site. But if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.

First, I would like your assurance that you won't give my response a negative rating just because the answer disappoints you.

ANSWER: If she thinks the arbitrator is wrong about the law (not the facts) or if she has evidence the arbitrator is a crook who was biased in favor of Discover, then she would have a basis for appealing. But if she wants to appeal just because she does not like the ruling, then the appeal will be denied. So, if she has a really good legal basis for appealing, she could borrow the $500 from someone and file the appeal. If she wins, Discover would have to reimburse her costs, including the filing fee. But if she loses the appeal, she would be out the $500 (and owe that money to whoever lent it to her).

I wish I had better news for you, but I am ethically required to give you my honest legal assessment of the situation.

I hope this is informative/helpful to you (even if it is not what you wanted to hear). If you find my response to be helpful/informative, kindly give it a 5-star rating. That's the only way JustAnswer gives me credit for the time and effort I spent working on the research and written response to your question. You may also respond to this email with the words "five stars" or "your response was helpful" or "I accept your answer" or words to that effect (but if you click the 5-stars button I would get the credit much faster and easier). There is no additional charge and you would be helping me out.

Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She does not have the means to borrow 500