KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years of experience in commercial real estate law, finance, consumer credit, landlord tenant, and business law.
92128996

My daughter is 21 and still on my health ins. She has rung

My daughter is 21 and still on my health ins. She has rung up thousands in medical bills and credit card bills. Can she include her medical bills in a bankruptcy or will the physician come after the Health insurance policy holder, being me?
JA: What state is your daughter in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Georgia
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: she is just not opening mail at this point
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that is all
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello there, do you need any additional information?
No, I will answer online. I can’t do a phone call at this time.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, I’ll look for the answer online
No, you are not responsible for your adult child's medical bills unless you signed a specific form promising the provider you would pay. This is very rate.If they threaten or harass you that is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.You should then send a letter, FedEx (with proof of delivery) to the provider detailing that you are not responsible for your adult daughter's bills and demanding to know why they are charging you, and stating that if it is not resolved in two weeks, that you will file a take legal action.Under the Affordable Care Act, parents can keep their children up to age 26 on their insurance policy, even if the adult kids are financially independent and live on their own.Yes, she can file bankruptcy on her own bills and it will be discharged and the debt will not transfer to you.I hope this clarifies and helps. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you very much
You’re welcome. It was a pleasure assisting you today with your question.