I have a buyer for my home. I would like to get out of the…

I have a buyer...

I have a buyer for my home. I would like to get out of the contract. The real estate person I used never had me sign a disclosure agreement or a contract to sell my house. We had a verbal on reduced commissions etc. Not signing those to documents can I get out of a contract to sell my home with a buyer. In the mean time the agent left the broker and I cannot get ahold of him so the broker is taken the listing over.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, just a offer and I accepted it at the time, the only thing done was a inspection on the home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

7/15/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thank you, ***** ***** try and get it answered here

The answer to your question is yes. Until and unless you sign an agreement that binds you to sell the property, such as the closing documents, then you needn't worry about liability. The law doesn't require that you sell your house. Keep in mind the buyer may argue that the theory of promissory estoppel applies. This occurs when a party makes a promise upon which the buyer reasonably relied to their detriment. But in home sale deals, it's commonly understood that until and unless closing happens, the parties can back out for any reason either their fault or not their fault. Regardless, the answer to your question is yes, you can remove any obligation to sell the home.

Because I value input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I just need to notify the broker then? And can he go after me for any commissions, etc. Plus am I obligated to pay the buyer anything for example the inspection fee.

Yes. I would notify the broker. Unless you agreed to pay the broker fees no matter what or if you agreed to pay them if a certain date passed, then no, you don't have to pay them. You don't have to pay the buyer anything at all, but I would recommend doing so and get them to agree to not to sue if you pay for the inspection.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I never signed anything at all yet, not even a contract to sell my house, So i guess i am all set. ThankYou

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just to go a little further do you have an example of email I should send to the broker that way I know I do it properly

I don't; however, you could probably just say something along the lines that you a) would like to exit out of the agreement; b) that you don't have anything that would require you to sell; c) you'd like to exit the agreement; and d) although you appreciate their help, if they could communicate this to the buyer immediately, that would be great.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thx

You bet!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am being told by the agent that I could go to court and I would lose my case and have to pay court cost lawyers fees Etc.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I never signed intent to sell I never signed disclosures only thing I signed was a contract stating I would sell my house for a fixed price I never signed any paperwork stating the commission cost
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also cannot get ahold of my realtor now the Brokers are involved

There's no way they can predict that. I would recommend seeing if there is some way to negotiate a settlement with them. Perhaps $500 may make them go away if they promise not to sue or something. But until and unless a court orders otherwise, you don't have to do anything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I offered to pay the inspection fee that was done a house but they declined that. thank you for the response I appreciate it