My concern involves vanguard. And their custodial agreement…

My concern involves vanguard...

My concern involves vanguard. And their custodial agreement regarding benefiaries.. My brother who predeceased the investor brother was to receive 96% of a 900k 401k. With 2 other primary beneficiaries @ 1% each. Is there a way to alter this agreement so that my sister and I can recover any money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Vanguard is located in pa but I am in SD and my brother died in nm

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have a nm lawyer who informs me on mn legal matters pertaining to the estate but a 401k is not testamentary

7/12/2018
Robert L

Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney (legal expert) with JustAnswer and I will do my best to assist you with your legal question(s) today.

With respect to your question, I have an idea about your situation, but so I don't make assumptions about your situation, may I ask you a few clarifying questions so that I may give you the most accurate answer possible? If so, my questions are as follows:

1) So that I may better understand the estate dynamics am I correct in reading that your family consisted of three brothers and one sister (four siblings in total)?

2) Am I correct in reading that you have had two brothers predecease you and your sister?

3) Of the two brother's who predeceased, the brother who was to receive 96% of you late brother's 401K predeceased that brother, am I reading that correctly?

4) Does the 401K beneficiary declaration contain "contingent" or "secondary" beneficiaries in the event that a primary beneficiary predeceases the 401K owner?

5) Does you late brother (the one with 401K) have any minor children or a surviving spouse?

**There may be a delay in my response(s) as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer. But know that I will ALWAYS return to answer your question(s).**

Robert L
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started