I currently reside in Arizona. My daughter who has a mental…

I currently reside in...

I currently reside in Arizona. My daughter who has a mental disability has been living in my home in Washington state for approximately 2 years. The agreed terms (verbal, not in writing) is that she will pay the utilities and her phone bill. She has recently discontinued taking her medications and is (I believe) smoking a lot of marijuana. She has refused to pay her utilities this month. The utilities are in my name. Would like to know what my options might be and what type of attorney would most likely be able to assist me. My Washington home is in Lyle, WA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet... I'm not sure what type of attorney I need to speak with. I am planning to got to my Washington home within the next 2 weeks and would like to make an appointment but do not know where to begin the search process.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have reminded her that her utility payment is due. She is very agitated and is refusing to pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It might be helpful for the attorney to know that she has been hospitalized several times during the past 10 years and just recently was released from probation following her latest court-ordered hospitalization.

7/12/2018
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Hello. I’ll be happy to assist you.
Are you seeking to remove her from the home?
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would be very happy to have her just continue our agreement and thus she would retain a place to live. However, she is so very delusional right now, I fear I will be unable to reason with her when I get back to Washington. Thus, I believe I will need to attempt to have her leave the home.
Eric Schneider
Phone call session started

I spoke with her.

OK. Thanks for the info. Under Washington law, since she doesn’t have a signed lease agreement, she’s a month-to-month tenant. As such, you are only required to give her 20 days notice of eviction. That notice must be in writing. If she doesn’t leave after that 20 days, you’ll have to go to court and sue her for unlawful detainer, which allows the police to forcibly evict her and return possession of the home to you. That said, I understand that you are in Arizona, so that may be a bit difficult for you. If her mental health is so bad that she poses a risk to the saftey of herself or others, you could have her involuntarily committed to a mental health hospital and use that time to serve her with the 20 day notice, then change the locks.
When you spoke with her, what did she tell you?