I am loaning my brother money to buy a car. How can I

protect my interests if, for...
I am loaning my brother money to buy a car. How can I protect my interests if, for example, the car is in an accident or if something should happen to my brother? Can I be a lienholder? What are my options?
7/11/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. You want to be a lender without being on the title. Have him sign a promissory note and a Security Agreement giving you a lien on the car to secure payment of the note. Then, file a UCC-1 with the Secretary of State. Also file the notice of lien with the county DMV. This will give you the right to repossess the car if he defaults, but since you will not be a title holder, you will have no exposure to any liability of your brother with regard to the car.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is a promissory note used in addition to a loan contract or will the loan contract be sufficient without the promissory note? Is the Security Agreement the 'notice of lien'? Thanks.

The loan contract would basically be the promissory note. The Security Agreement would be the document giving you the lien. Then, the UCC-1 is a Notice of the lien. And, the DMV has a specific form for you to sign evidencing that you have a lien on the title.

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.