Does filing a legal separation or divorce allow a spouse to…

Does filing a legal...

Does filing a legal separation or divorce allow a spouse to get out of an apartment lease that they co-rent with their spouse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a fee?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Okay thank you

7/11/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you.

No, filing a legal separation or divorce does not get someone out of the apartment lease since the landlord has the agreement with each party and therefore can go after both parties if the lease goes unpaid. While the divorce/separation may change the legal standing of the married couple vis-a-vis each other, it would not change the legal standing in relation to the landlord.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Okay thank you

You are welcome. Please remember to provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney