I was terminated from my employer for telling a female that…

I was terminated from...

I was terminated from my employer for telling a female that she "Looked almost hot". She's 17, but I thought we were friendly enough with each other that she would take as harmless. Which is what is was intended to be.

Lawyer's Assistant: When did this happen? Have you filed an EEOC complaint?

Terminated today.

Lawyer's Assistant: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?

Cub Foods

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Workplace termination lawsabou vary by state.

I live in Woodbury MN. So is my former workplace.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of right now.

7/10/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I have worked at Cub/Woodbury for almost 6 years. Excellent work record. I think my question as asked is close toaccurate as I can get it.

I'm sorry to hear about that. But when I looked, I don't see that there was a question asked. I see a description, but no question. Could you clarify me?

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I'm just exploring what options if any I might have.

I see.

Do you have reason to believe you were terminated because of your race, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity?

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Don't know. I think being a white male may have something to do with it.

I see. Would you say that the place has other white males working there? Is management white or of another ethnicity?

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
I can see being disciplined, but terminated?? Seems real harsh.
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Mgr and Asst Mgr are female.

I see. I'm sorry to hear about that.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I have dealt with some terrible co-workers, managers, and subordinates in my time. It’s one of the reasons I decided to become self-employed is because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Nonetheless, it’s important to analyze the law in this situation. Harassment/retaliation/discrimination is against the law; however, employment law only makes it against the law if the basis of these actions by the employer are based on your race, gender, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or disability. Employment law doesn’t necessarily cover people who act like jerks. It's possible that if they are both female, that could suggest they terminated you because you were a man because it's less possible they would have terminated you as a result of being female.

Regardless, in some states, contract law may help if an employer doesn’t act in good faith. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, any party to any agreement (including employment agreements) has to act in good faith with one another. The failure to do so could be a breach of contract. It’s one of the possible legal solutions, but not always the most practical one.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
OK. Thank you. I have a Union Rep. We are going to file a grievance. see what happens. I will go from there.

No problem. Just so you know by clicking here, It’s easy to find a local EEO office, so check that out.

Because I value input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
If I think I have some legal options, I'll be in touch. Dp you think telling a coo worker that she is "almost hot" is harassment? At least enough o terminate a worker?
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
OK.

I don't think that it would be considered harassment in my legal opinion. If it was a one-off statement, I have no reason to believe that it should have lead to termination unless they had some other reason for doing so.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
OK. I'll be in touch...

Ok, excellent. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!