INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I filed a claim for leaking pipes in 08/2016, they low ball

i filed a claim for leaking pipes in 08/2016, they low ball me and said it wasa just water damage. I'm still curious where they think the water damage came from and I just saw black mold a few days, but I guess they may believe still no piping issues. what can I do because now my health is in jeopardy due to their negligence
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ga
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: the claim in 08/2016 but I asked for records of that claim and I see they just have it classified as just water damage and not piping issues, and I'm about to file with the ga. ins com, but I want to make sure I state my case properly to resolve this nonsense. should I file a complaint with the ga. ins com and if so and specific wording I have to use?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I declined the claim check back in 2016 but they said it was too late and I had to accept the low ball check of $258. Also, what other steps besides the ga ins com, because now I feel may health may have been jeopardized staying here since they did not resolve it?
On review of your facts, you have a good case.There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law.A letter from you or a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! It also may produce from the other side admissions or agreementIf the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekBy being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have specific questions for you sir.. 1) should I file a claim with the georgia insurance commissioner? and if so how should I state my complaint? I made them aware of the possible leaking pipes in 08/2016, but they dismissed my assumptions about the pipes and sent me a lowball check of $258 since they classified it as only water damage. 2) Now that I have visible mold in my house, can I sue them for neglect and doctor bills to insure I do not have any health complications due to my exposure to this black mold?
1. Yes. Identify the history, the damages and ask for review.
2. Yes. All losses. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You can have 10 stars from me! Thanks for the advice, Last question.. hire a lawyer first or file my complaint with georgia insurance commissioner first?
I would hire first! Good luck.You are also welcome to leave a bonus after rating. Much appreciated!