I am going through a divorce and my attorney just dropped me…

I am going through...

I am going through a divorce and my attorney just dropped me as a client. How do I proceed to defend myself and what is the next step if I can not afford an attorney and have to defend myself. I only have til August 27th for the last final hearing. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I am clueless of the legal system. I don't know where to begin.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do I get my own case started with my own issues to be addressed to the judge. My former attorney had a different agenda that led to the end,.

7/10/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your request, Because your attorney has retired as your lawyer you would be entitled to an adjournment of proceedings to allow you time to find a new lawyer.

You can file a motion request with the court for a continuance in this light.

The court should grant you this extension so you will have adequate time to prepare for the next hearing.

If you proceed pro se you should request your file from your last attorney and proceed to the next hearing date.

If you need further assistance please follow up with me.

Just a reminder that it is your positive rating that gives me a credit for my time today.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to court today and they dismissed my attorney from my case but the magistrate told me she had to keep the final hearing at August 27th due to some supreme court rule she has to abide by. There is only 30 days to find an attorney and get my case in court. She would not allow additional time or a continuance for a latet date for the final hearing. What can I do since I can not afford an attorney and most do not want to pick up in a case so close to the end of a divorce?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to continue on line if we can not talk on the phone.

Thanks for your follow up.

If you cannot afford an attorney and the judge has denied a postponement you would have just two choices:

proceed your self or seek out pro bono representation.

https://www.ohiolegalaid.org/pro-bono/

https://www.olaf.org/lawyers/pro-bono/

I'm not sure what else I can make know known to you by a phone call so I've opened up this request to other lawyers making calls.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I get my issues into the court room? It is as if the magistrate is ready to make a recommendation to the judge and it is my old attorney's information,. I have different evidence I want addressed and issues talked about and it is as if it is over. We go to trial in august and I do not even know how to prepare for the trial. I do not know what was said in court in pretrial or what the issues all are.

You should get your files from the attorney and can request a trial transcript from the court from past hearings if these aren't already part of your attorney's files.

You contact the clerk of the court for any transcript request from the pre trial hearing.

You need to collect all your papers , documents and witnesses and request a list from the adversary of their evidence in court. This may already have been made in your files.

Best

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I continue pro se, how do I get my own issues addressed in the court room? Do I go to the circuit clerks office and file a motion or something? it is as if I am made pick up where my attorney left off....not given the right to start over.

Your case continues as normal as indicated by the judge but you are the attorney until you hire another.

Best

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not add new issues of my own agenda? it is as if the judge is acting like all evidence has been heard and she is ready to make a recommendation to the judge and I have to go defend issues I do not even know about

Most of the disclosures and evidence are dealt in the pretrial conference.

The purpose of the conference is to make the hearing relatively straight forward.

You can file motion for continuance despite this being denied initially and base it on new grounds, such as the introduction of this new evidence you are referring to.

You could also challenge the introduction of this evidence by asking the court to quash or declare it inadmissible also by motion to the court.

Best

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you! do I do this via the circuit clerk's office? how do I petition the courts for this to happen?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I find out what evidence she has entered or shown to the magistrate already? my attorney kept me in the dark completely. she did not want me to win. this is why we parted.

Yes, it is the same court that is presiding over the divorce.

You file a motion with the court.

Here is a link to forms or you contact the clerk's office of the court directly :

http://www.ohiocourtlinks.org/

Best

Attorney Bill