I just received a letter from a bank demanding full payment…

I just received a letter...
I just received a letter from a bank demanding full payment on a business debt I am a guarantor of. The business failed 2 years ago...i have been unable to keep up with debt payment? help!
7/9/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to figure out what the best option to take on this matter

I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you considered filing for bankruptcy? How did working out a lower payment work out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the letter demand payment by 7-17-2018
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really dont want to file for bankruptcy

I see. What did they say about the lower payment?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lower payment issues was a while back and I have been unable to keep up?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
am I truly liable even though my business is now closed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How serious are the banks at coming after me personally for the debt my business owed?

I'm sorry to hear about that. Did you personally guarantee this loan for the business?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I attached a file please read to understand what I am talking about.

Ok, I see. I took a look at it. It looks like you're the guarantor. So, you have a couple of options...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did

1. You could choose to do nothing. This is difficult because they may put a lien on your personal property or garnish your wages or put a levy on your bank account.

2. You could settle the debt. Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. In my experience, creditors will usually settle balances between 50-65% of the total balance. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

Because I value input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I settle the debt, what options will I have for payment or is it a full lump sum of the negotiate number?

Good question. Most of the time they will accept payments for as long as 36 months, depending on the creditor. In my experience, it is usually between 12-24 months in most cases that they will accept it If you have a lump sum, offer that to them, but payments are often what most creditors, especially Wells Fargo (whom I have negotiated with) will do.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just fill out and send them the settlement template you sent me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wait for them to respond? or should I call the person on that letter?

I would get them on the phone or send this Torres guy an email to start the negotiation process. They are almost always open to negotiation so you should start with that guy then once you agree in principle, then send them the settlement letter. They may have a settlement doc they would send you anyway so you don't even have to send that in all probability.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok for now...i'll contact the guy and send the letter after the conversation.

Excellent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no other questions right now...yes

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oops one more question.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I choose to do nothing what are the chances that they'll take those actions you mentioned above? DO they often go through with their threats?

It's a good chance they will. They're banks and their only job is to make money so you could count on them requesting a lien or garnishment of your wages.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With regards ***** ***** percentage are they allowed to granes from a 54k loan?

So, according to a trusted source. In OR:

Generally creditors are allowed to garnish the lesser of: 25% of your disposable earnings, or. the amount by which your disposable earnings exceed $218 per week, $435 per two-week period, $468 per half-month period, and $936 per month.