My lawyer advised me to remove $5000 from my account two…

My lawyer advised me...

My lawyer advised me to remove $5000 from my account two days after she filed for a tro. Am I in contempt now?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

What do you mean, exactly?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband cut me off from our bank account two months ago. I have been borrowing money from friends. Retained a lawyer and filed for divorce. But, I found my husbands new account info. My lawyer told me to wait to withdraw money until two days after she filed the divorce papers. But apparently, the tro goes into effect the day she files. I am freaking out...

7/9/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Post:

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

What do you mean, exactly?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Customer: My husband cut me off from our bank account two months ago. I have been borrowing money from friends. Retained a lawyer and filed for divorce. But, I found my husbands new account info. My lawyer told me to wait to withdraw money until two days after she filed the divorce papers. But apparently, the tro goes into effect the day she files. I am freaking out...

Response: Yes, you are technically in contempt. However, since your husband was hiding the asset, it is doubtful that he would file contempt action against you to try to get the money back from you. Even if he does, he would be exposing himself to charges of concealment of marital assets and for nonsupport. The Court may wind up allowing you to keep the money to attend to your needs since your husband illegally cut off your bank accounts. The unclean hands doctrine would apply here. The Court is not likely going to feel sorry for your husband and thus try to get the money from you because your husband has unclean hands for cutting off your bank accounts and not supporting you for the past two months forcing you to depend on your friends for support. The Court may say that he deserved exactly what he got. Thus, you should not lose sleep over this.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law