How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3210
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 30 year old daughter has mentalissues right now and she

This answer was rated:

My 30 year old daughter has mentalissues right now and she has been overdrafting her checking acct online gambling etc I am concerned she can get into legal problems because of this behavior. can I call the bank and interfere or because she is 30 are my hands tied. She has cost her dad and I over 18000 and we are retired on fixed income .Help please .how do we get legal guardianship until she gets better?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No she is currently in therapy at western Psych in Pittsburgh she wont give consent to talk to doctor . I am concerned for her and us .we are financially ruined at this point. Because of HIPPA they will not talk to us
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No should we? I know we are not responsible for her but they are not doing anything for her. I think she is bipolar and they say depression
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just want to know how to proceed

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal question to justanswer today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your question in relation to managing your daughter's finances who is an adult.

Because your daughter is an adult her medical and financial accounts cannot be released to other family members without her consent.

If you are looking to contact the bank and get the hospital records you will need to have your daughter declared mentally incompetent by a court.

You would proceed with a guardianship order upon declaration of mental incompetency by filing a petition for guardianship with the County Court.

An alternative to guardianship would be to seek an involuntary or voluntary committal order to a mental hospital . An emergency application can be made exparte where she is at risk to herself.

Please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or accept.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.


Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you