I need to file a lawsuit against an individual. How do I do…

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file a lawsuit against an individual. How do I do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have all documentation I need but other than that. Asking you is the first I've done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also want to know if I can file against a police officer?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
7/8/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Respectfully, ***** ***** is a bit broad. It's sort of like asking a doctor "How can I perform open heart surgery?" Basically, though, the process of filing a lawsuit (and lawsuit) begins with filing what is called the "Complaint" -which is the actual suit where you set forth the allegations against the person or persons you are suing and the grounds upon you are suing and the facts supporting those grounds. You would then have that "served" on the other party or parties by a process server, which starts the suit.

Each ground you allege is made of up different elements, which you will have to ultimately prove if you wish to win your case. For example, if I was using a police department, and an officer for false imprisonment, I would need to allege in my lawsuit that the officer did willfully detain me, without consent and without authority of lawful arrest.

Police officers can be sued for their actions. Every case is different of course, but you may be able to bring claims for things like false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution and/or a "1983' (violation of civil rights) action.

While it's not required that you have a lawyer in a civil suit - you are certainly welcome to represent yourself - I would strongly encourage and advise you to speak to an attorney. Many, if not most offer free consultations. You need an evaluation of your case. And, if you do seem to have a viable claim, you may very well want a lawyer to handle things for you (they may even take the matter on contingency, meaning you wouldn't pay fees or costs unless they recovered money for you).

Please let me know if I may clarify anything for you or if you need any additional information. I'm happy to help any way I can! If not, please kindly take a moment to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars. Thank you so much for your time.