I have a questions about an appellate court form or process…

I have a questions about...
I have a questions about an appellate court form or process for petition for rehearing. Who can help me with this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The appeal court is in columbia ,SC
Answered in 1 day by:
7/9/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Once the appellate court in South Carolina renders its decision, the parties have 15 days to file a petition for rehearing.

Within 15 days after the decision in your case is filed, you can file a petition for rehearing under Rule 221. If your case is currently before the S.C. Court of Appeals and the petition for rehearing is unsuccessful, you may petition the South Carolina Supreme Court for a writ of certiorari under Rule 242. The purpose of this petition is to ask the Supreme Court to review the decision of the Court of Appeals.

The petition is generally relatively straightforward and is to include the content specified in the rule found here: https://www.sccourts.org/courtReg/displayRule.cfm?ruleID=240.0&subRuleID=&ruleType=APP

It should include the date of the appellate court's decision and what errors were made that justify rehearing. It is in the general form of a motion. This link provides a sample of a petition for rehearing filed in the SC Supreme Court (the same format applies to the S.C. Court of Appeals): http://2hsvz0l74ah31vgcm16peuy12tz.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/8-7-2017-Respondent-SCs-Petition-for-Rehearing-with-file-stamp-Doe-01418283xD2C78-01418297xD2C78.pdf

Do keep in mind that unlike some filing deadlines, any petition for rehearing must be actually received by the court within 15 days of the decision, not just mailed by that date.

I hope this information is helpful. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this message. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been told by one of the clerks that you can fax it and also send in mail . The fax would serve as the postmark date and would hold any additional legal issue until the motion for extension of time for the petition which I am sending get there.

I believe that is correct and that I have done so in the past. The key is being able to show receipt of it by the deadline; and then if faxed, sending via mail provides them with an original signed copy for the file.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no rule saying you cannot file multiple motion at once yes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also let me know when you available to look at something or have a look at something.

You can file multiple motions or you can combine motions into one filing in most situations.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please, take a look at below and let me know what you think? Can a order be given be deputy of clerk? Please send back by word the improvement you think can be done and/or a quick edit. Also, opinion on how you think it flow and did it get it purpose across in your opinion 1-10.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the document I did mention motion for extension of time petition for rehearing yes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a judge that is being sued in a lawsuit still have ruling in case that the mishandling in that very case they are being sued for? Also, if you have it being transfered to a higher court such as federal court how can the lower court still able to have orders without the permission of federal especially being transferred because of jurisdiction? Please send actual links,rules of procedure,laws etc.., concerning this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is purpose for petition for rehearing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Judge being sued will normally recWhat is the purpose of petition for rehearsing

I will look at all of this today and get back with you.

If a motion is for something procedural (e.g., extensions of time) Claire Allen can sign as clerk of court. A judge is not required to sign when it comes to most requests for more time. In reviewing the rough draft, my biggest comment would just be to make it a little clearer exactly what happened. Maybe start with a section called "Relevant Facts" and summarize the harassment and assault and the medical condition of the party; then state that due to the harassment and resulting health effects more time is required to order the transcript - state how much more time - and for a waiver of any filing fees and a reconsideration of the denial of such prior request. I also provided some comments on the attached.

Rehearing is always decided by the same judge who made the original decision; if that decision is still not satisfactory, an appeal is attempted to the S.C. Supreme Court via a petition to that Court for it to review the appellate court's decision.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the same judge is being sued in a lawsuit in a higher court would this not be considered conflict of interest when it has to deing with matters pertaining to civil rights concerning this case?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I saw the advice or changes given thank you. As it was what would have been your rating 1-10?

Whether there is an actual conflict of interest, but if the judge is currently a defendant in a lawsuit claiming violation of civil rights that may be the basis for a motion to recuse, which is a motion that asks a judge not to participate in a particular case or decision.

I think you have a lot of good points in the draft, just need to streamline by separating out the factual situation first so the court knows before you are ever presenting what you are asking for what the basis is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Explain and give example of what you mean in details.Explain it like I was a intelligent 5 year old I will not be insulted.I will be glad you took the time and patience. Below is what I am talking about it.I think you have a lot of good points in the draft, just need to streamline by separating out the factual situation first so the court knows before you are ever presenting what you are asking for what the basis is.

Of course. With documents you submit to the court, the goal is to lead them to the result you want. In other words, it is like a roadmap. Draft it so that when they read your document, the court wants to do what you are asking. The best way to do that is to write your motion or other paper in sections with titles, like below:

1) Statement of Facts - Here include all the actual details - the disability, how that impacted failure to file on time, ability to pay any filing fees; how the disability has been worsened by the conduct of the other parties' harassment, etc.

2) Argument - Here you say what you want the court to do, why you want it done, why you think you are entitled to have it done and any legal basis (court rules, justice and equity/fairness, any other laws)

3) Conclusion - A short sentence or two clarifying what you are requesting: An extension of time and what for; waiver of filing fees; anything else

Attorney Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is ruling in one court separate from the other? what are some of the intersections of both courts federal and state court ? Explain to me like I was an intelligent 5 year old. I wouldn't be insulted. I would actually be glad that you took the time and patience. If you can even find a legal report on this etc.., this would help.

Yes, each court's rulings are separate. And, cases pending in federal court are in a completely different system than those pending in state courts. Essentially the systems work like this:

Federal Court

Federal courts hear cases involving federal laws (those passed by Congress) and claims of constitutional violations or issues; there are three levels of federal court:

District Court - Each district court (the same districts that exist for electing members of Congress) is where cases are first filed and trials occur. Once a judgment is entered in the district court - either by a judge's ruling or a jury's decision, it may be appealed to the Court of Appeals

Court of Appeals - There are circuits (each circuit covers several states; S.C., for example, is the Fourth Circuit) and if a party is unhappy with the final decision of a District Court a Notice of Appeal is filed within pretty short deadlines. The appellate court sits in panels of three judges, there is no testimony or trial like procedure. Instead, briefs are submitted and then, in some cases, there may be a very short oral argument/hearing where each side has 15-30 minutes to appear before the court to answer any questions it has that were not answered by the written briefs.

United States Supreme Court - the highest court in the country; only hears a very small number of cases and if a party loses at the Court of Appeals, a Petition for Certiorari is filed asking the court to take the case, but the court only takes a super small percentage of cases

State Court

In South Carolina, the same three basic court levels exist and the same appellate process is essentially in place. One difference is that the trial courts are divided into - Circuit Court (Common Pleas - hears civil cases; General Sessions - hears criminal cases), Family Court, Probate Court. Then if you are unhappy with the trial court's decision you appeal to the S.C. Court of Appeals, which is where it sounds your case is now. If that court rules against you, you then file a petition asking the S.C. Supreme Court to hear the case.

The only time cases in these two different court systems cross in the normal situation is if after the S.C. Supreme Court's decision on an issue involving the U.S. Constitution someone then wants to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case or in criminal cases if someone is incarcerated and is asking for post-conviction relief from a state court conviction, but that relief is based on constitutional issues - ineffective assistance of counsel, for example - then a petition can be filed in the federal district court in some situations.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I sent in the stuff for motion for extension. By the time needed. and I was still sent something in the mail about a remittance but there has been no order sent or posted for the remittance. Can you help give me some understanding of this?

Hmmm, a remittance would generally meant the case was sent back to the lower court. Can you give me the case name and/or number and I will take a look and see if I can figure out what is happening for you?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
case # ***** court of appeals case # ***** circuit court case# ***** Thank you.

Okay, this is what appears has happened. The court indicated its intent to dismiss the appeal due to the failure to order the transcript (which was addressed in some of our earlier discussions as I recall), then you filed the motion but on behalf of Ms. Henderson. You indicated you had power of attorney but the Court determined that you could not file on Ms. Henderson's behalf because only the party or an attorney may file. If you have a signed Power of Attorney giving you authority to act on Ms. Henderson's behalf, you may want to file a motion to reconsider dismissal and attach that Power of Attorney. This is an unfortunate situation where Ms. Henderson is not able to act for herself, but there may not be the official documentation in the court file to allow anyone but an attorney to act on her behalf.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
They already have the power of attorney. The motion was filled by her not me I signed it to let them know everything that was said was true to my knowledge and I was a witness to such and for the right to going forward to act on her behalf if needed, since I have the power of attorney. The landlord is intentionally making her sick to throw the case or make be kill her. This person has stated she doesn't care how this effects Ms.Henderson health leading up to death.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
They also had been made aware of the Power of Attorney previously and never stated any problem with it.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
They had been made aware also that she was contacting court reporter to get transcript, some of the stuff that was suppose to have a transcript didn't have transcript because there was stuff done in secret that nobody was made aware of, but for some reason that i snot being address by the court. Which should be a major thing if they are suppose to be about justice.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I need all this to be in private. I need all the stuff that you are seeing sent to me in privacy that you saw about the case. Also the Power of Attorney was accepted by them months ago. Also cases numbers that I sent to you I would need them to be in privacy.The Health Power of Attorney even states in the contract/document the person being able to handle legal matters. So,something is really wrong on there part.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The power of attorney was given way before this was filled.