I was a cosigner on a loan my son had 12 years ago. He then…

Customer Question
I was a cosigner...

I was a cosigner on a loan my son had 12 years ago. He then had to file bankrupcy and now I am having to pay off the loan. I never had the money and am on soc sec now with my husband. They got a judgement against me but the 7 yrs ran out and they reapplied again so now another 7 yrs so now I cant seem to get them down from 3750 to 2750. What recourse do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am talking to the debt collector lawyer and I told him all I coudl afford was 2750. I even sent them a copy of our tax return that shows we make $18,000. But that didnt impress them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh no I cannot right now. How can I reconnect later. Some friends just walked in for a unscheduled visit. So very sorry. What should I do?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
7/7/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Was the judgment on default? If so you can move to vacate and then look to settle!You can file a motion at the clerks office to vacate the judgment on basis that you didnt have notice. The motion will usually be granted!If the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This past judgement against me, I didnt know anything about - didnt get notice. Is that what you mean?
You can have it vacated by motion along with any levy based on such default without notice!Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!