In November of 2017, I ordered a boat from Silver Island…

Dear Sirs, In November of...
Dear Sirs, In November of 2017, I ordered a boat from Silver Island Marine Co. I was told that before they could build the boat, I had to pay for it. The invoice was for $7,542.88,. I wired the funds and was told it would be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. It is now July 7 2018 and I can't get anyone to call or give me any information. You can not leave a message because their mail box is always full. Checking with the BBB in ILL. I found out that they have a F rating and similar complaints like mine. I would like to know, if I can file a wire fraud case against them, I am in S.C. Thanks, P.J.DeStefano
7/7/2018
Albert Marmero

In order for there to be a fraud claim, we first have to assume that you are not getting this boat. So for this answer, the assumption is that you will never receive the boat or any response from them. If that is the case, then yes, I think you can make a wire fraud claim under Illinois law.

Under Illinois law, "wire fraud" is basically the instance where a criminal concocts a scheme to defraud an individual or business of money by using long distance communication methods. That is exactly what seems to have occurred here. As in most cases, the most important aspect of the law regarding wire fraud in Illinois is proving the intent of the individual to commit fraud via the transmission of the original message.

Most wire fraud cases fall within federal jurisdiction because of the propensity of the offense to be committed across state lines. However, Illinois is one of the few states with its own wire fraud law, meaning state officials can also press charges independent of federal charges, making the committing of wire fraud an extremely serious offense within the state of Illinois.

My advice is to very quickly contact the Illinois Attorney General's office. Here is a link with contact information and there is even a section here for people who have been the victim of fraud. http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/about/contacts.html

The quicker you act, the better chance these individuals can be found.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. After providing a rating, feel free to ask follow-up questions. Thanks and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very excellent response. Thanks, P.J.DeStefano

Glad I could help. Please keep me posted on this matter. And please provide me with a rating so I receive credit. Thanks!

Albert Marmero