I have a garnishment against an auto loan that is 19.50% per…

I have a garnishment...

I have a garnishment against an auto loan that is 19.50% per annum. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I had a hearing with the county magistrate. He said that it was ruled on by a prior administration.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2018
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. Is the garnishment against your wages, or other assets?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wages.

So please clarify: Was this hearing in response to your filing an objection to the garnishment?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started owing about $21k and when thet applied the annual interest I now owe $28k after paying about $9000

In order to get the garnishment, a Judgment would have to have been entered against you in Court first. That Judgment would have factored in and calculated all of the terms of the note you signed, including the specified interest rate.

At this stage, the magistrate cannot change the terms of the Judgment, but can only rule on the possible amendment of the amount to be withheld.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is ni way to appeal the judgement?

How long ago was it entered? Were you involved in that Court case, or was it entered "by default" meaning you did not respond to the court papers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was never notified of the hearing so it was by default. It was ruled on in August of 2016

You can try to file a Motion to Reopen the Judgment alleging that you were never properly served with the Court papers, but generally after this much time you will likely not be successful.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. The ratings are at the top of the conversation pane.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber