My tenant owed back rent $9,400, then she filled for

My tenant owed back...

My tenant owed back rent $9,400, then she filled for bankcruptcy chapter 7. She Continued to stay without pay. I have filled A Motion Request Relief from Staying. Hearing date tomorrow 6/26 at Camden Bankcruptcy Court. How can I possess my property ASAP.? Please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your tenant in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your tenant taken so far?

I got the letter from US bankruptcy court that Tenant filed 4/25/18, 341 meeting 6/11/18. I filed Motion for Relief from stay 6/5/18. Tenant Deadline for objection to discharge 8/10/18 and deadline for financial mgnt course 8/10/18.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to get my property back, to sale it due to my sickness conditions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I need to tell the Judge on hearing motion tomorrow? I want my property back.
6/25/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing to understand is that there is no bullet proof method of doing this. It really just depends on how persuasive your argument is as to why you should be exempted from the law that says that you should be relieved from the automatic stay.

Generally, there are some things that could be of some help in your presentation of the motion:

1. Explain how you will be unfairly prejudiced if they cannot proceed with trial as scheduled. For example, you could say that this is the only place for you to live or that you will go broke without being paid back rent.

2. That the debtor won't be prejudiced by lifting the stay.

Basically, if you can convince the judge that this is an exception that must be granted and that getting the property back is the only way to ensure justice is done, then you will be in very good shape.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please, I already submitted my hospitals stay to the court, also included the letter to tenant in January, I have sent letter "30 day Notice" to Tenant regarding I need to sale my property.

Great news. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please give me more details how to convince the judge about this unfair situation. I got a big lost.

I could, but you may have to help me understand why it's unfair. What reasons do you have that you think would give you justice in this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, Tenant got the Eviction date on 4/26/18. But they filed for bankruptcy and continued to stay without pay. Is that unfair? I was en up in hospital twice because of stroke and heart fails. Why I can't get my property back to sale it?

I see what you mean. So, although morally and ethically it's unfair, legally, they are allowed to file for bankruptcy. It's up to them to prove to the court that they don't have the means to pay back their debts. In your case, do you need to move back in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to accept the lost of back rent, the stupid things that listen to tenant's lawyer and waiting for tenant WC settle case and then when they got money, they just filed for bankruptcy and pay me nothing. I just want to get my house back.

I see. I'm sorry to hear about that. So, here's what you could do:

1. Explain to the court you lawfully evicted this person. You can explain how much back rent was owed. Explain how many times you provided notice in writing and orally to the tenant;

2. Tell the court that the debtor only filed this not because they qualify, but only to avoid having to pay you back as a creditor

3. You could explain that this is a debt less than $10,000, and as such could be paid back over time and installments.

4. You could also say that because you can't get them off the property, you still have to pay for the upkeep, but are not getting any rent.

5. Explain that you have had some physical disabilities that have made this unusually stressful on you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
During my sickness time, I have transfered this rental house to my son name. Is that reasonable to tell the judge or it's more complicated for my case?

It may complicate things. I'd leave that out and just say that he's been helping you manage the property:-)

Legal Eagle, Lawyer