I have received a motion for judgment on the pleadings on a…

I have received a...

I have received a motion for judgment on the pleadings on a credit card debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I did send an answer that i know that i owe the money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am self employed as a childcare provider which has varying income.

6/24/2018
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. Your answer indicating "I know I owe the money" will be considered an admission of the fact that you have no defenses to the action and an admission of liability. That is why there is a Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings. That means that there is no reason for further proceedings, such as a trial, and Judgment should be entered in favor of the Plaintiff for the amount they claimed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do I do on the court date??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not own anything to sell or otherwise come up with the money!! I do not know what to do??

If it is scheduled for a hearing, go to Court and try to work out an agreement with the other side for monthly payments that you can afford. They will often agree because they can enter a stipulation with the Court for the monthly payments to be Court Ordered, which is often easier for them than enforcing the judgment in other ways.

If they won't agree, tell the Judge what you can afford.. bring with you proof of income and liabilities. Do you own property?.

Bruce Schreiber
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live with my boyfriend.

If you are self employed, at some point they may be able to garnish or attach your bank account. So the best thing, as I said, is to go to Court and work out a payment plan.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will do that!! Thank you!!