I am trying to fill out a pro se custody motion in ohio.

I am trying to...

I am trying to fill out a pro se custody motion in ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Ohio family court?

There is already an open case started by job and family services. I have not yet filed the motion for full custody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No because funds are tight right now. I was hoping to file this motion first and see where it gets me before I have to spend the money to get an attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what I put down for the case number. Should I put down the open case number ***** job and family services or just leave it blank because I am trying to start a separate case for custody?

6/24/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Thanks for your patience. Do you happen to have a copy of the petition you're filling out? This will help me determine what you put. You can take a pic with your phone or take a copy from your computer and upload it to this discussion.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me get those to you.

Great, thank you! Also, system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These are the three forms that I am trying to fill out.

Ok, bear with me a few moments while I review.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

I see. Ok, thanks for putting that. Ok, if this is the case, then you should leave it blank. When you go to file the petition at the court, the court clerk should put the case # ***** the documents for you once it is generated. This way, you can serve those docs on the respondent and it'll have the case # ***** that time. Even if there is another action that is related to this, this is a new case that will get a new #.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is alot of help. Now on the custody affidavit form, it requests the addresses of the child for the past five years. Well she currently resides with me due to me having temporary full custody but I have moved twice in the past five years and her mother has moved at least four times. There is not enough space to record all of those addresses. Is it absolutely necessary to have all of those addresses written down?

Cool. I wouldn't put in all of those addresses. I'd just fill up the space and not put anything in addition. It's likely irrelevant to the motion.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Also at the top of this same form, it says parties: with a blank space. What names need to be put there?

You'll put yourself and the mother. Basically [your name] vs. [her name].

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! Do I also leave the ID # blank?

Yes. That's probably something internal for the courts.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question. Under the lines for previous addresses, it says list the names of the people that she has lived with. She has always lived with either her mother or I but I have had roommates in the past and her mother has lived with her mother and sisters as well as my daughter having a sister from me and a brother from her mother. Out of those people, who needs to be listed? There are only three lines as well.

I would list family members, long-time roommates, or any people with whom she or you have had a romantic relationship.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But there are only three lines

If there is more information you need to put, you could always attach an additional sheet of paper that helps explain it as well:-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn't need to be a form or anything, just a blank sheet with the rest of the names on it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, do I wait to sign the forms until I file the paperwork or can I sign them now?

You got it. You can just attach the doc to your petition and you should sign it now. They won't accept it otherwise.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! Thank you so much for all you help!

You bet!