I want to work with a ghost writer to write my biography. I…

I want to work...

I want to work with a ghost writer to write my biography.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Colorado, my ghost writer is in Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have agreed to a start date of June 29th. it will prolly be an on-line ZOOM or Facetime.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

1. Who owns the copywrite?

6/13/2018
Roy Hadavi

­­Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: There is a very simple way to ensure that you won the copyright. It is known as a Work-Made-for-Hire Agreement. This type of agreement is provided for in the Copyright Act and allows one individual to hire another for a project, but ensure that the hiring party is the sole copyright holder.

You can find a template for such a type of agreement by clicking here.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Thank you. I do have more questions. 1.) Do people typically split income from the sale of the book? 2.)What other legal issues are typical with this kind of author/ghost writer arrangement? 3.) Do we need at working agreement of some sort about (A) who has editorial responsibilities/control? (B) Timeline to completion? (C) Who has Marketing responsibilities?
  • 1.) Do people typically split income from the sale of the book? Not necessarily. It wholly depends on your agreement between you and the writer.
  • 2.)What other legal issues are typical with this kind of author/ghost writer arrangement? There is no other legal issue that specifically arises from this type of matter. You will just want to make sure to have a written contract outlining each person's responsibilities, in order to make the relationship 100% clear.
  • 3.) Do we need at working agreement of some sort about
    • (A) who has editorial responsibilities/control? Yes, see above.
    • (B) Timeline to completion? Yes, see above.
    • (C) Who has Marketing responsibilities? Yes, see above.
Do you know if there is/are book(s) about this topic that could help me craft such an agreement?

You can click here to view a sample agreement. You will have to modify it for your specific needs.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5‑star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert‑royhadavi/ Or, simply request "Roy only" in the first line of your question.