How to stop a cyber bully? The bully is in Colorado, and we…

How to stop a...

How to stop a cyber bully?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The bully is in Colorado, and we are in Illinois, South Carolina and Florida. Its my nephews ex wife from 4 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Begged her to stop.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has impersonated law enforcement, and opened 10+ fake accounts and vows to terrorize our entire family until she is dead. yes

6/11/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

the court does have authority to issue a protective order that precludes a wrongdoer from engaging in harassing conduct, including cyberbullying.

The victim may apply for a protective order in the state in which they lived, based on the long arm jurisdiction statute, which gives that state personal jurisdiction over the offender based on the conduct that occurred in the state (ie the internet connection) and the fear resulting from the interaction.

The victim may also apply for a protective order where the wrongdoer resides.

Under the Full faith and credit clause, once there is a court order issued in one state, it can be "registered" or "domesticated" in any US state's court and that court will have legal authority to enforce it.

It is also possible to request legal fees as well.

She has opened over 10 linkedn, facebook, twitter, tumbler accounts with different names to try to hide her identity. Would the protective order include her IP addresses?

During the discovery process one could obtain the IP addresses through the internet service provider or the social media accounts.

The discovery process compels a third party to provide relevant information regarding the underlying facts of the case.

What could be the penalties for her breaking the order?

Generally it is a misdemeanor and so the court may order jail time along with fees incurred in enforcing any orders.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer