How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6214
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine owes me close to $30,000 and has stopped

This answer was rated:

Hi, a friend of mine owes me close to $30,000 and has stopped paying. We did not have a written contract. She was a added user on my credit card. I was wondering how i can proceed to receive what she owes me
JA: What state is your friend in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: What steps has your friend taken so far?
Customer: She has paid me some money, and her last text message was beginning of last month stating she would pay me again on 06/01, and she did not and has stopped aswering my messages or my calls
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I sent her a certified letter yesterday requesting payment

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.

In general, for just about any situation where the other party isn't willing to settle/negotiate, the only way to compel that person to pay you money is to have a court to do it - and that requires litigation. Since you have quite a bit that is owed to you, you probably wouldn't want to bring the action in small claims court, simply given the cap on recovery, though. Please let me know if if there's anything you need me to clarify, explain or follow up on - and I'd be happy to do so! If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 3 or more stars; 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you. We get notification of our ratings instantly. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question; please do NOT rate negatively because you think I'm not going to come back - this is not like an auto connect-type communication with some companies. We are *real* lawyers and we may be in meetings or on the phone when you next respond so please be patient if you don't get a response in 10 minutes - or even an hour. I WILL come back and answer all of your questions.

Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Olivia Kent and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you think i would have a case without a written agreement?

Many people prove the existence of an agreement - an ORAL contract - quite successfully. There are also claims like UnJust Enrichment for example, and people can frequently recover damages even without a written contract.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you