Is it free. I already did this previously and I thought I…

I already did this...

I already did this previously and I thought I had the right answer but I don’t think it was correctly answered

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I asked the question on your website

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Our Customer Support team is available to help you 24/7. Email***@******.***. In the US or Canada: 1-***-***-**** (Available 6am to 9pm PST). In the UK: 0-***-***-****. In Australia: 1800-679-634. In New Zealand: 0800-452-621. From anywhere else: 1-***-***-****.

Ok...thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will but I resigned after I had my annual review and now they are saying the are not going through with my merit increase since I resigned. My review was almost 2 months late

6/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

My annual performance review was due March 15. I was actually done on May 1. I resigned from my job on May 15. So during my exit interview I asked about my raise and if it would be retroactive. She didn’t know and after I officially left the company I emailed to follow up. I was told that yes I was being considered for a merit increase but since I resigned they were not processing it.

I see what you mean. So, as far as you know, did you earn a raise by 3/15?

HR said I was being considered due to my overall performance numbers but I never received anything

I see what you mean. So, I think that you would have a case that you should bring to your state labor board.

Generally, an employer must pay their employee at least a minimum wage, the wage agreed upon in their employment agreement, and overtime wages, if the rules regarding overtime apply to the employee. Also, an employee must be paid for all hours worked regardless of whether they are salary, hourly, part-time, or full-time. Upon termination, an employee must be paid out any bonuses, commissions, or any sick or vacation time that they have earned up until that time.

At times, an employee may need to file a wage claim to recoup the money they were supposed to be paid. Sometimes, this money could be money that was not paid as promised or could be money that was inadvertently withheld by the employer (e.g. they took out too much for health care). Every state and the U.S. government have a process that an employee can follow to get a return on their wages. The government acts as the go-between for the employer and the employee. They have the authority to investigate and make a final determination on whether wages were to supposed to be owed. The wise thing to do is to provide whatever documentation is necessary to make the government’s job easier. It’s important to remember that they are unfamiliar with an employer’s policies, wage scales, compensation plans, bonus schemes, etc. so if an employee provides much of that information in an organized manner in advance, then they are going to be in good shape. If a person has a complaint regarding wages, they can actually just click here and follow the rules on how to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
The company handbook states they do not pay unused sick time or vacation time. I make more than minimum wage. I’m not sure you actually answering my question so is this something I should bring to the Rhode Island labor board