How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 50761
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ray, I talked to you the other day about my friend, Betsy,

This answer was rated:

Hi Ray, I talked to you the other day about my friend, Betsy, who's husband has either Dementia or Alzheimer's and is being held in the nursing home against his will. Betsy wants him to come home and so does he.I have some new facts:Attorney Virginia Frazier Abel is the owner of the Nursing home and also the Conservator of his money. She confiscated his camper and his gun collection. She agreed to pay Betsy $500 per month for expenses. She has never paid her that $500 a month.Betsy's husband, Barry, is supposed to still be responsible for 1/2 of the household bills. Lately Betsy has tried to get some money from her for the bills and does not even get a return phone call from Virginia.Betsy hired the 1st Lawyer, Jerry Divitt, paid him $3,500. Betsy was not notified of the court date till after the fact. Betsy wanted him to come home but the Judge dismissed the case and determined that Barry should go to a Nursing Home. Betsy had no say in the matter.Betsy hired a 2nd Lawyer for another $3,500 who went to court with no outcome. Barry is still there and wants to come home. What can she do?

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Betsy hired a 2nd Lawyer for another $3,500 who went to court with no outcome--so did the judge extend conservatorship?

Virginia A. Frazer-Abel

Frazer-Abel Law, LLC

Virginia Frazer-Abel, Esq., received her law and tax degrees from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and her undergraduate degree from Grinnell College. Virginia is a member of the Trust and Estates and Elder Law Sections of the Colorado Bar Association, as well as a member of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and is owner of Frazer-Abel Law, LLC practicing in the areas of public benefits, elder law, estate planning and probate and the overlap of these issues with family law. She serves as GAL in both domestic and probate cases, Court Appointed Counsel in probate cases, and private counsel. Ginny was sworn in as the Public Administrator for the 1st Judicial District in February 2014.

Please get back here trying to understand this.I want to help you and thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i looked her up.

So here she would need lawyer to motion the court to terminate the conservatorship.Lawyer here has legal control of his finances and his medical decisions.She can check the orders here to see exactly what powers the lawyer here.She can write the judge here and ask for the money , add it up and tell judge conservator has not paid the bills.

She can renew her motion to remove the conservator, she could look at what her lawyers already filed and take another crack at it herself.

These are her options to get paid and then to remove conservator.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight again.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not want to call. This is not my problem
I am trying to help my friend. Do u have anything to say?

If she can afford another lawyer here are the best, ***** ***** 5 stars.

Ray and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She cannot throw more money away. Do u have anything to offer?

She can write the judge herself about the failure to pay by the conservator.She can ask for a hearing on that issue and removal of conservator for willful violations to date.Ask for a hearing she can go tell it to the judge.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will give u a 5 star review if i can figure out how.

You are so welcome

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The stars are already there. I don't know how to do another one because the stars are already filled in.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should she ask for the same judge that dismissed the case the first time she went to court? Her lawyer who didn't tell her of the court date went before the judge to tell him that Betsy wanted her husband to come home but without the guns. The judge dismissed it and called it "frivolous" and sent him to the nursing home.

She would file it in same court here, the judge maybe the same of different one.