My sons's father is the custodial parent and I legally have…

My sons's father is...

My sons's father is the custodial parent and I legally have visitation and rights but the father refuses to let me see my son. There is a contempt of court hearing set, if the father goes to jail what will happen to my son? will the courts grant me the custodial parent?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have and the judge ordred that supervised visits happen but the father still refuses. The judge told him if he doesnt cooperate and allow the visits to happen next court heaing he will be in contempt with a possible jail sentence

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

6/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

I'm sorry to hear about that. So, if one of the parents goes to jail, the judge will consider what is going to happen to the child. The judge will probably issue an order granting you custody (at least full or temporary full) in the meantime. Most parents don't spend much time behind bars, but depending on the severity of the situation in the judge's eyes, they will make sure that the child is supervised by you as a result of his actions.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
I think thats all the questions i have, thank you

You bet!