A friend of mine, a banker from another country, loaned a…

A friend of mine...

A friend of mine, a banker from another country, loaned a Colorado resident $9,000.00. She will not respond to him and does not take his calls. It was a personal loan but he has no paperwork to support his claim except their chat messages Does he have any legal rights under Colorado law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CO lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Repeated attempts to phone her. He doesn't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I am just doing a favor for a friend who is at a loss for his legal rights of collection, if any

6/5/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. When was the loan made? did the debtor make any payments at all on the loan? do the text/chat messages show that the debtor agreed to pay it back and when?

Im asking him now
no I don't want a phone call but thank you
I cant get him to respond on text

You can disregard the phone request.

i think she did agree to terms, yes. If so, can he use the text messages to make a claim?
since he is from another country how does he proceed?

It does not matter that he is from another country. I recommend that he send her a demand letter demanding payment in full under the loan (principal, interest, etc.) by a certain date. Telling that if she fails to pay, he will be forced to file suit against her to recover damages under the loan.

If she does not pay, he need to file suit in Colorado to enforce the agreement set forth by the text messages. Suit should be filed in the county where the debtor resides.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

I believe you have. Thank you very much!

You are welcome.

Please remember to accept my response and click the stars above to post a positive 5-star rating so I get credit.

Lori
Lori, Attorney